Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo EX-V6 Luxury, 1990 Suzuki Escudo
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

We have a couple clunking/popping noises in the front left. Been an ongoing issue with this car since new. Under warranty Kia kept saying it was all normal and couldn't find anything wrong. Even when I went for a test drive with the mechanic and he heard it, they ended up saying it was nothing. Funny bunch of folks.

Anyway, I discovered the sway bar link was toast so replaced it. Still a bit noisy, sounds like the strut is worn out. All other mounts and joints seem okay. Strut top mounting nut is tight so it's not that issue.

Anyone use those "easy struts"? I do have the spring compression tools so it wouldn't be a problem to change just the strut and re-use the spring. I'm wondering if there are any recommendations from owners regarding a need to replace the spring too. I used to always re-use strut springs but cars these days seem to chew through parts and/or parts are not as quality made as they used to be. We already had the rear springs replaced because they were "sagging".

So, anyone recommend replacing the strut spring along with the strut shock? Any tips on good deals through the internet marketplace for these parts, brand preference, etc? Keep in mind I live in Canada.

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I put KYB GR2 (Excel G) struts and shocks on my Rondo a few months ago. Didn't replace the springs, though.

Monroe doesn't list a "Quick Strut" assembly with a new spring already installed on the strut and I believe they were the only company that does aftermarket that way. They do list the strut by itself, though. Monroe is going to be similar to OE (Sachs), though I have found Monroe to be a little soft for my liking. KYB GR2 (sold as Excel G worldwide) have stiffer dampening than OE to make up for worn springs, etc. I prefer that feel personally.

Front:
KYB 334509
KYB 334508

Rear:
KYB 344501

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put KYB GR2 (Excel G) struts and shocks on my Rondo a few months ago. Didn't replace the springs, though.

Monroe doesn't list a "Quick Strut" assembly with a new spring already installed on the strut and I believe they were the only company that does aftermarket that way. They do list the strut by itself, though. Monroe is going to be similar to OE (Sachs), though I have found Monroe to be a little soft for my liking. KYB GR2 (sold as Excel G worldwide) have stiffer dampening than OE to make up for worn springs, etc. I prefer that feel personally.

Front:
KYB 334509
KYB 334508

Rear:
KYB 344501

I was looking at the KYB's today. I can get the Excel-G's in Canada for about $111 each including shipping from Auto Parts in Canada! - Canada Auto Parts Online. The USA sites are substantially less expensive, but add shipping and maybe duty/brokerage and they are at or above that price.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

Curt

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Suspension bearing

Hi.

I know noises can be misinterpreted, but My carens suffered a similar noise, especially when turning left. It turned out to be the top bearing on the suspension damper, it was replaced three years ago and fixed the problem. Unfortunately the same noise has now returned, so I hope its as easy to fix again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi.

I know noises can be misinterpreted, but My carens suffered a similar noise, especially when turning left. It turned out to be the top bearing on the suspension damper, it was replaced three years ago and fixed the problem. Unfortunately the same noise has now returned, so I hope its as easy to fix again.
Thanks for the information mudds. I'll see if I can check the bearing without tearing down the whole strut. To diagnose, do you know if your strut made noise while going over bumps too or was it just mostly while turning left? Was it your right or left strut?

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Hi.

My car is a diesel, so on medium revs on a slow left turn, a noise..knock..vibration..would appear from the left side (your drivers side) top of the dash. I have the same noise again , exactly the same, which appears same as above and now on rough road surface in a straight line. My engine, being a diesel is not smooth (and its noisy itself) and causes vibration in the car.

I wish I had bought a petrol model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts