Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway to use android auto or just my phone to stream the screen to my head unit? Like stream a youtube video or other website videos to my head unit?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
319 Posts
I know the Veloster had a way to have a hdmi port, to use the screen. It was a cable adapter.

I would be interested if there is a way myself

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
Due to legal/liability concerns in the U.S., no standard infotainment system or app will allow you to stream to your head unit. The best you can do is to get a tablet and a tablet mount for your car and use that. You may be able to use the AUX input for audio, however. There are aftermarket Chinese/Korean units which will allow streaming to the head unit, but that's a costly solution and the technology may not work correctly. The liability issue, of course, is that any video will take your attention away from driving and any company that allows that to happen will be sued in a lawyer rich country like the U.S.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Due to legal/liability concerns in the U.S., no standard infotainment system or app will allow you to stream to your head unit. The best you can do is to get a tablet and a tablet mount for your car and use that. You may be able to use the AUX input for audio, however. There are aftermarket Chinese/Korean units which will allow streaming to the head unit, but that's a costly solution and the technology may not work correctly. The liability issue, of course, is that any video will take your attention away from driving and any company that allows that to happen will be sued in a lawyer rich country like the U.S.
Im pretty sure you can do it on a Veloster with a cable 99.9%. You just have to be in park (easy over ride, but yes "illegal")

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
Im pretty sure you can do it on a Veloster with a cable 99.9%. You just have to be in park (easy over ride, but yes "illegal")
I had not heard that and when I just researched it, I found that this will not work on U.S. or E.U. models. Evidently, the hack is to put the unit in service mode by entering a code which can be dangerous for non-techheads. People on the Veloster site said even the hack doesn't work on U.S. and E.U. models. That said, there are aftermarket units on the Crutchfield site that will show videos in AVI or MPEG4 formats.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
Anyway to use android auto or just my phone to stream the screen to my head unit? Like stream a youtube video or other website videos to my head unit?
I did some research.... Here's an article that explains what I found...

Hope it helps....

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did some research.... Here's an article that explains what I found...

Hope it helps....
I know the closet tech pack came with a av cable "to play video games in your car". It was sold and marketed in the us. That, I know for a fact. Plenty of av to micro usb adapters.

Here is a write up, that may be too messy I plan to try this on a 2020 Sportage base (lx fwd, cheapest of the cheap) and will report back (in the middle of a few projects so it will be December before I get to it personally.)

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
I know the closet tech pack came with a av cable "to play video games in your car". It was sold and marketed in the us. That, I know for a fact. Plenty of av to micro usb adapters.

Here is a write up, that may be too messy I plan to try this on a 2020 Sportage base (lx fwd, cheapest of the cheap) and will report back (in the middle of a few projects so it will be December before I get to it personally.)
This is a hack that very few people can do and given system updates from the manufacturer, the hack will have to change with every system update. These types of hacks can brick your system and ruin your day if you don't know what you're doing. It was only used on WinCE based systems and the Veloster changed to Android based systems where you cannot hack it to stream videos. We have Android based systems in our car. If you have an LX or an EX without navigation, and you want video, I would change your head unit. However, as far as I know, there are no head units that will allow videos while driving. Thus, if you want to increase your chances of getting into an accident by taking your attention away from the road, the only easy solution is to get a cheap tablet and a tablet mount and put it in your car. Or, you can certainly buy a large screen phone and use it like that. My phone plays videos just fine.... but I don't do that in my car while driving UNLESS, I'm the passenger and the driver can't see the phone....

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is a hack that very few people can do and given system updates from the manufacturer, the hack will have to change with every system update. These types of hacks can brick your system and ruin your day if you don't know what you're doing. It was only used on WinCE based systems and the Veloster changed to Android based systems where you cannot hack it to stream videos. We have Android based systems in our car. If you have an LX or an EX without navigation, and you want video, I would change your head unit. However, as far as I know, there are no head units that will allow videos while driving. Thus, if you want to increase your chances of getting into an accident by taking your attention away from the road, the only easy solution is to get a cheap tablet and a tablet mount and put it in your car. Or, you can certainly buy a large screen phone and use it like that. My phone plays videos just fine.... but I don't do that in my car while driving UNLESS, I'm the passenger and the driver can't see the phone....
Loop e brake cable, you can watch video on any aftermarket unit. I'm sure it can be done on the factory unit. Just a matter of how difficult. Might need a driver to allow video play. What type of android system dose our cars have.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
Loop e brake cable, you can watch video on any aftermarket unit. I'm sure it can be done on the factory unit. Just a matter of how difficult. Might need a driver to allow video play. What type of android system dose our cars have.
You still require special APK's and apps not approved by Google. Plus, you need to put the unit into developer mode to load those APK's. Even with that, the Android OS has code to disable any video driver while the car is moving and that would need a hack as well. The Android OS in your car is not the same as your phone -- it is a custom system. As you know, Android is is really a Google created version of Linux. When you put this OS into developer mode, you theoretically could put in any code you want, but that is not easy to do and if you've done it before like I have, you have to be ready to brick your system. Many of these hacks don't work after you do an update.

That said, as far as I know, you can't get HDMI or composite inputs into a factory head unit as those inputs don't exist and the USB ports are 2.0 without enough bandwidth for HD video. You can easily plug in an adapter to aftermarket units with built-in inputs without any code changes. You will need to disable videos while driving in the head units that offer that option.

Mirrorlink is a possibility in aftermarket units, but not in factory head units as far as I know. I haven't done any Linux coding in the last decade and have not done any Android coding. I used to do a bunch of hacks on my car systems back in the early 2000's, but not recently. I didn't create any of those hacks but downloaded them from hackers with decent reps.

If you know of "cables" that work with FACTORY head units, let us know since I can't understand how they would connect without HDMI or composite inputs in the head unit. And I know our head units USB bandwidth is limited. That may change when the units get USB 3.0 -- but that hasn't occurred yet. There are factory units with WIFI connections that may have the bandwidth, but I don't know how to get the drivers working that way. Bluetooth 5, which few people have on their phones and we certainly don't have on our head units, may have the bandwidth to get low resolution video.

If you actually have a solution and a proven hack, let us know. I haven't heard of one...

Reactions: rio-t

·
Registered
319 Posts
You still require special APK's and apps not approved by Google. Plus, you need to put the unit into developer mode to load those APK's. Even with that, the Android OS has code to disable any video driver while the car is moving and that would need a hack as well. The Android OS in your car is not the same as your phone -- it is a custom system. As you know, Android is is really a Google created version of Linux. When you put this OS into developer mode, you theoretically could put in any code you want, but that is not easy to do and if you've done it before like I have, you have to be ready to brick your system. Many of these hacks don't work after you do an update.

That said, as far as I know, you can't get HDMI or composite inputs into a factory head unit as those inputs don't exist and the USB ports are 2.0 without enough bandwidth for HD video. You can easily plug in an adapter to aftermarket units with built-in inputs without any code changes. You will need to disable videos while driving in the head units that offer that option.

Mirrorlink is a possibility in aftermarket units, but not in factory head units as far as I know. I haven't done any Linux coding in the last decade and have not done any Android coding. I used to do a bunch of hacks on my car systems back in the early 2000's, but not recently. I didn't create any of those hacks but downloaded them from hackers with decent reps.

If you know of "cables" that work with FACTORY head units, let us know since I can't understand how they would connect without HDMI or composite inputs in the head unit. And I know our head units USB bandwidth is limited. That may change when the units get USB 3.0 -- but that hasn't occurred yet. There are factory units with WIFI connections that may have the bandwidth, but I don't know how to get the drivers working that way. Bluetooth 5, which few people have on their phones and we certainly don't have on our head units, may have the bandwidth to get low resolution video.

If you actually have a solution and a proven hack, let us know. I haven't heard of one...
Might be easier to replace the unit and keep the screen. Just use phone as hotspot. I'd like to have a throw away unit to see how the screen is attached. Ribbon cable would be an easy swap, and just run a table behind the screen. It would end controls however, and everything would be touch. Annoying. I was hoping it was just standard android and would only need external memory mod.

The Veloster that used cables, was not android. 13-15 I think

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,277 Posts
Might be easier to replace the unit and keep the screen. Just use phone as hotspot. I'd like to have a throw away unit to see how the screen is attached. Ribbon cable would be an easy swap, and just run a table behind the screen. It would end controls however, and everything would be touch. Annoying. I was hoping it was just standard android and would only need external memory mod.

The Veloster that used cables, was not android. 13-15 I think
You can't just replace the unit and not the screen -- the screen is built-in and will not separate. Besides, there are significant compatibility issues including resolution and pin-outs. Again, there is no such thing as "standard" Android. Android is an offshoot of Linux and IS the customization for a specific device. Most of what we consider "Android" is simply the user interface over the Linux base code. If you are going to replace the unit, the screen will come with it. There are aftermarket units with steering wheel control attachments. The problem is that most of the aftermarket units won't control things like HVAC or system settings. If you have an LX or an EX without nav, then an aftermarket unit could work well -- but it is not cheap.

Early Velosters used WinCE, not Android, and it was much more hackable. You seem to be equating your head unit with a desktop computer where you have separate components. It is much more like your smartphone. Do you really think you can take the guts of one phone and attach it to the screen of another?

In the future it will get even worse. All infotainment systems are moving in the direction of Tesla where you have one center screen that controls everything including things like the speedo and tach. And these will even be less hackable than your current one since it will be connected to your ECM and control your brakes, steering, throttle, etc. Hacking that could end your life....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts