Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Nav Graphite/Tan
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if others have experienced this. Lately when I go to close the sunroof it will get a out 80% closed and then it will open again. This has happened about a half dozen times. It hasn't happened in a few days however. It usually happens while the car is in motion and traveling less than 50kmh

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
if it does this even once just make sure the tracking system is thoroughly clean and nothing caught in the track. Sounds like whatever was in there is now out from the movements you did. It's designed to retract if it encounters any sort of resistance - so nothing strange just doing what is suppose to do.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
The sensor that detects when the sunroof impacts an object (person's head or arm) when closing might be defective and too sensitive.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
This happens to me 75percent of the time. And I haven't seen anything in the tracks. If I hold the button it closes. I will have to check out this sensor idea.... Didn't know that existed.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
409 Posts
happens to me once in a while, usually if i'm travelling on the highway. i wonder if maybe at a certain point the airflow goes in such a way that it puts enough pressure on the sensor to make it think it has hit something and open the roof back up....

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
problem is the sensor is usually built into the electric motor assembly.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
My new Rio 5 Ex arrives in a week or so, so I'll be checking the sensitivity at the dealership.

·
Registered
14 Mazda 3 GX sport, 08 Nissn Quest SL, 10 Nissan Altima SL
28 Posts
Just wondering if others have experienced this. Lately when I go to close the sunroof it will get a out 80% closed and then it will open again. This has happened about a half dozen times. It hasn't happened in a few days however. It usually happens while the car is in motion and traveling less than 50kmh
Happened quite a few times with me as well. Will highlight on my next visit to dealer

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5 SX UVO 2013
37 Posts
There is a sunroof reset procedure which is needed in order to make the sunroof close correctly after the following situations (I've found) :

- Disconnecting the battery
- turning off the car while the sunroof is closing/opening/otherwise moving

The procedure is explained in the car manual but here it is in any case :
- push to button to close the sunroof forward and hold for 10 seconds until you see the sunroof moving about (up and down) and coming back to its initial position.
- release the button, and before three seconds go by, push and hold the button forward again as if to close the sunroof.
- the sunroof will enter a full open and then close cycle; hold the button until the closing cycle is complete. Once released the sunroof is now ok

1 - 12 of 12 Posts