Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had or know of this odd problem. Just driven to town and noticed that the steering was pulling to the right which needed pressure to the left for straight ahead. after parking up, on the return trip the pulling to the right had stopped but now the steering wheel instead of the spokes being level when the car is driving straight is displaced with the spokes at 8,oclock to 2 oclock.
Parked up on a level surface with the wheel spokes level the right wheel is turned out considerably.It appears something has moved the central zero position, is this possible. The steering has not had any knocks or be driven through any large potholes.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Well it doesn't have anything to do with the electric power assist. Your alignment must be off. Does anyone else drive your car? Maybe the hit something? You should go get a proper 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am the only driver & as i said has not suffered any damage, bear in mind this has happened whilst driving on a main road. A sudden jump of about 20 degrees from its normal position. I will keep forum informed after i take it in to repair shop this week. If it can jump 20 degrees it could conceivably jump a lot more which could be exciting at speed!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Wow, that's a lot. Could be a broken or loose tire rod, suspension mount, wheel nut, or seeing wheel. Check them if you're mechanically inclined, otherwise take it straight to a shop to be checked out, as it could be vary dangerous to drive.

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not a mechanical problem have had it checked by my Son who is a qualified mechanic. Will come back when it has been to a Kia shop this week.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
Sounds like the linkage to the steering wheel is loose inside the cab...
If so the clock spring may be next to go as left stop to right stop will have moved and the clock spring can be damaged "if" the steering wheel is not centered.
I doubt the "rack and pinion" could have shifted.
Dave

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vehicle in local Kia garage today, they say they have never seen this steering problem. So i now await to see what they try! Also say they have never seen the central door lock problem when key is removed from ignition switch with no clunk. I have had this since last June and when it happens a tap under steering column does the trick but now the car is in for steering i will try and get this fixed as well.

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just had a phone call from garage. They are working with KIA experts in Madrid to try and solve problem.
The computer check of steering shows all up to date and correct. Asked if i wanted car back for weekend, i told them to keep it until fixed. I do not fancy driving a car with a problem where the steering wheel can rotate 20 degrees from its normal position as i said previously if this happened at speed it could be very dangerous. To be continued.

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got car back after a week. Here is the conclusion of my steering problem but i cannot believe what the garage did was the only fix, there must be more to it. They stated that all they did was a slight adjustment to the right hand wheel alignment. I fail to see how this could re-position the steering wheel 20 degrees clockwise when the original defect was a sudden jump in steering wheel position. Anyway the car now drives better than new, the self-centering of steering wheel on corners and particularly coming of roundabouts is excellent. This never happened before this problem occurred.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I'm with you when you are surprised that a small alignment problem was the answer. It would have to be a major adjustnent to affect cornering so markedly.
Any sign of tyre wear that looks suspicious?
Any chance that the brakes were binding/dagging on one side? Tyre pressures OK at the time of the problem? -Even that would have to be grossly out-of-whack.

·
Registered
2011 sportage CRDI
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tyre wear OK,No brake binding,pressures OK,garage checked all that good stuff. As i said previously NO damage on car, i being the only driver. Bear in mind that i have driven it for 2 years and this suddenly occurred. ie. drove into drive OK, drove out the following day and the steering wheel had moved 20 degrees from straight ahead position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts