Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Rio LX Sedan.

I've noticed a strange "clicking/clunking" sound coming from the rear drivers side of the car. It only happens for a minute or so in park while idling after a long ride (1 hour) and it isn't a steady or consistent sound. Instead, it happens randomly (between 5 to 10 seconds apart). After that noise stops, I then hear a Sloshing/Gurgling type sound from the same area (under/behind the rear seat). If i shut the car off, the noise stops.

Could it be the brakes or rotors cooling? Even if so, I've never had a previous car do that.

Maybe the fuel pump? :confused:

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
please "newbie's" fill out your location and drives profile on the left side, it makes it so much easier to answer questions. Kia's are not equipped the same worldwide. - thanks

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX Auto, Supercharged 2003 Chevy Avalanche
15 Posts
please "newbie's" fill out your location and drives profile on the left side, it makes it so much easier to answer questions. Kia's are not equipped the same worldwide. - thanks
Not to mention the fact that the "driver's side" is dependent upon where you are! :p

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Not to mention the fact that the "driver's side" is dependent upon where you are! :p
Thanks for the heads up! I hope you can help with my issues too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fuel pump is located in the gas tank.

I will also chime in that I too have heard weird clicks coming from the driver side trunk area. Like a relay coming off and on.

It's not all the time, but I do notice when I'm parked, after about 5 or 10 seconds I'll hear a click sometimes randomly.

I can't for the life of me figure out what it is, mine is a 2012 Rio, 6 speed manual. There are also a few clicks from under the hood once I turn off the car from relays shutting off i'm guessing. For the record I'm in Texas.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 SX
64 Posts
I've been hearing the same sound, comes from the driver's side rear (which if you are looking at the back of the car, would be on the left for those in other places) and it seems to happen only when coming to a stop. I assumed it was something with the brakes, never gave it much thought.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
405 Posts
i have it to. figured it was the hillstart assist kicking the brakes in, but it happens more than once when i come to a stop and stay in drive. can't imagine it is cycling the brakes....

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
He he, same here. Heard that click, tick, thump whatever you call it since I own the car. Dealer said the noise could not be reproduced when he had the car so...But I think it's not a sign of malfunction. Still, I'd like to know what it is. I too thought it could be a relay, a pump or the ABS or brakes.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX Sedan
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dealer said they hear it but that nothing seems wrong.

·
Registered
RIO 2012
9 Posts
I experience it too.... Still wondering what it is, even it still runs smoothly, can't help to try to make it stop....:confused:

He he, same here. Heard that click, tick, thump whatever you call it since I own the car. Dealer said the noise could not be reproduced when he had the car so...But I think it's not a sign of malfunction. Still, I'd like to know what it is. I too thought it could be a relay, a pump or the ABS or brakes.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX UVO 6MT
17 Posts
Ours is the same - since day 1 you'll sometimes hear a clunk from the rear when the car is completely stopped with the engine running. I mostly notice it at red lights. It didn't happen for the dealer, but they put it up on the hoist and checked everything over and said it all looked good, so we live with it. I noticed it seems to happen more often in cool or cold weather. Didn't hear it much in the summer. At least now I know this is just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i don't have any of the clicking/clunking from the rear in ours. I do have relays going off left right and centre after i turn the car off for about 20 seconds like accelerus does, but nothing at the back. Do those reporting the clicks at the rear have a reverse camera? don't see why it'd be engaging if you weren't in reverse though. It may be your rear muffler expanding/contracting but that's more of a 'ting' sound than a 'click' sound. It won't be your brakes.

To the OP; are you sure the gurgling sound isn't coming from the engine bay? they're known to do that, part of the aircon/heater system. Mine does it.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
couple of notations from your owners manual with regards some sounds:

"When starting the engine you may hear a slight ticking sound. This is the ESC performing an automatic system self-check and does not indicate a problem"

"a click sound may be heard in the engine compartment when the vehicle begins to move after the engine is started. These conditions are normal and indicate that the anti-lock system is functioning properly."

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
funny thing is i've never heard any abs initiation noises in the Rio when moving off like i have in some other cars, or when starting the engine either. The noises i hear are after the engine is switched off, just relays. it's a weird car but i love it intensely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts