Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Sorento 2.5 crdi XS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I have a 2003 2.5 diesel, with approx 147k on the clock, over the last week when turning right I get a strange rubbing / grinding noise, it happens even if I turn the wheel slightly.

I've check the rear brakes all fine, front brakes all look good to, nothing under Neath looks like its rubbing or showing signs.

The noise does not happen when stationary and moving the wheel left or right it only happens when driving.

I may be wrong but the noise sounds like its coming from the back, the strange thing is it only does it when turning right, going straight or left is good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Possibly a bad wheel bearing? Jack up each wheel and give them a shake and spin. Look for excessive play and grinding.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Maybe the backing plates for the rotors, either front or back. I see the front ones rubbing all the time, on the bottom of the rotor from a rust ridge where the pads don't contact. If it only happens on a right turn, It will most likely be the left side.

·
Registered
2003 Sorento 2.5 crdi XS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I have doubled checked the guard, no contact being made on front or back both sides.

will be replacing front brake pads later this week, they need doing and wonder if they are moving and rubbing on edge of brake disc.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the replies, I have doubled checked the guard, no contact being made on front or back both sides.

will be replacing front brake pads later this week, they need doing and wonder if they are moving and rubbing on edge of brake disc.

Thanks

Paul
Did you figure out what the problem was?

·
Registered
2008 kia sorento LX 4wd
18 Posts
Sorry for raising dead threads, but this post is exactly what is going on with my 2008 Kia Sorento LX 4wd. I've jacked it up and checked bearings, ball joints, fluid levels, Brakes and ETC, but still cannot locate the rubbing/grinding noise. I keep going back to the backing plate for the rotor, but every time I look I see nothing to indicate they are rubbing. It only happens when I turn right and I've narrowed it down to the driver front wheel. Any other suggestions would be great.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Sorry for raising dead threads, but this post is exactly what is going on with my 2008 Kia Sorento LX 4wd. I've jacked it up and checked bearings, ball joints, fluid levels, Brakes and ETC, but still cannot locate the rubbing/grinding noise. I keep going back to the backing plate for the rotor, but every time I look I see nothing to indicate they are rubbing. It only happens when I turn right and I've narrowed it down to the driver front wheel. Any other suggestions would be great.
Start a new post..........
A lot more people will see it.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
1,293 Posts
C-V joints will make noise get in a cul- de -sac and make a sharp turn on the side with the problem. A bad one will jerk and make noise.

·
Registered
2008 kia sorento LX 4wd
18 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I fixed the problem. It was the backing plate and I finally decided to just bend it as far away from the rotor as I could. I kept looking at it but never saw anywhere it was touching or rubbing. Thanks for the all the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts