Kia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange problem...engine running, no power, tach reading zero

27K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  judyann999 
#1 ·
I searched the forums, and have not found the answer to what is happening to my 2001 Sportage (4wd, manual).
The first thing that happened is the cruise control wasn't working. No problem, don't use it much anyway. Then the weird thing happened, on the highway, tach dropped to zero, engine still running, but not responding to acceleration. Engine light flashing, then steady and it ran fine. It did this twice. Mechanic checked codes, and it said misfire on 1 & 4, and multiple misfires. The mechanic said it was the fuel pump (the engine would have quit if it got no fuel, right?) and the engine wasn't getting any gas. I replaced the fuel filter to appease him, and it ran fine for a while, then the whole tach/power thing happened again. This is very intermittent, and power returns in less than a minute.
Other suggestions have been crank sensor, coil, and knock sensor. No one seems to know.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!

#2 ·
Thanks! Forgot to mention I have a new battery, good terminal connections. Will check the ground tray. Will check the rest on your list. I didn't even think at first that the cruise may have screwed things up...duh!
I'm a nurse not a mechanic... (insert Star Trek Dr. McCoy voice) :)
Thanks again!!

#3 ·
Good day,

it seem that i have the same problem (tach going to 0 intermittent and loosing power) but this is coming more often and also it happen on idle as well one in a while or when arriving at a stop sign!

I went to a shop and they were not able to retrieve the code because the problem is not during long enough.

My Kia is a 2001 , no cruse control and automatic.

I am in the same situation don't know where to look!

But i found an electrical drawing and the pick up signal for the tach is at the ECM connection same signal firing the coil 1 and 4 cylinder.

#4 ·
My guess, check the wires leading to the coil. They could be heat damaged, it happens to a lot of these cars. $45 harness, 1 hour, and 13 swear words...

If the coil looses power, it'll do exactly that... Good luck

#5 ·
Just a guess...
Input speed sensor on the transmission???
That sensor would reflect directly on the engines RPMs.
The crank or cam sensors would "kill" the engine so the RPM would not be sensed from them.
Dave

#8 ·
The one to the coil...and also maybe the one to the cruise module. My cousin is my mechanic, and he knows better than I. I was just lucky to find the cruise module and disconnect it. That was one suggestion from someone, and it has worked so far.
Right now I'm working 12 hours 7 days a week, so it may be a bit before I get it worked on, but I will make sure I let everyone know how it works out.

#9 ·
Good day,
Being an electronic technician, i traced the signal used for the tachometer (RPM) and found that it is coming from the ECM to coil pack (cylunder 1-4). I put an oscilloscope on the signal sent to the coil back (wire Y/L yellow with light blue) from the ECM. (i skin the wire close to the coil pack and connect the scope to look at the signal (pulse sent to the coil) and the charging current of the coil pack. Been able to record these signals when problem occured. Found tha the coil pack was receving the signal but was not responding and no current was taken by the coil. So i conclude that this coil pack was intermittently defective. Order a new KIa coil pack and installed it! The sportage run just fine, the problem seem to be solved.! (coil pack price at KIa dealer $80 can). If you are interested, i can send you the scope waveform that i took when the problem was occurring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.