Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
KIA RIO , MERCEDES BENZ C CLASS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , i am new to the forums, but i want to say that i have kept my Kia Rio 2003 at top condition. Now to the problem:

I was driving to a wedding which was in a city which is on a mountain, when i enter that road ,i saw that the car couldn't go very fast so I push the pedal to the maximum, even entered 2gear sometimes as i have an automatic transmission. When i arrived at the city and was driving in very sharp mountain roads the temperature got closest to the large medium line between C and H and was staying there for a few minutes , it had water and antifreeze, no leaking from the radiator the fan was working, I turned off the car for a few hours when i was at the wedding then, when i turned back home not a single problem in normal terrain, i even tried it 15 minutes on in Parking and the fan was working temperature was normal all the way. My car has 98781 km at all. Is this car so f*cked up that cannot take a mountain road without having problems when all things related to engine temperature are in perfect working condition???

Thanks to all in advance for your answer.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
lets begin with details, such as location, engine size, and environmental conditions such as ambient temp, wind, humidity, steepness of the hills, A/C use...

Have you ever driven in this mountain before?

From what you say - the engine could have behaved normally. If you were able to downshift to 2nd it means you were driving slow, meaning less than 45 MPH. Therefore, air flow through the radiator was limited.
If the car did not drive so fast - what the hell, take your bicycle and try to ride on flat, and then take it uphill. You will see.

So, you floor the gas, engine works at its maximum power, and plus you do not give it enough cooling (air flow is slow). Every car can overheat driving uphill long enough.

Now, fill out profile before updating on the problem.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
I would agree with PLP. Your engine was working harder trying to get up that mountain but had much less air flow through the radiator to cool down the coolant. Usually your fan would cover this, but giving the situation, up hill in low gear for an extended period of time, it makes sense. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine power 1497 cc
AT transmission
AC on, driving slow for an extend amount of time, i was on the brakes for a moderate time in the uphill condition.

I have driven that mountain a few years ago , maybe when i had only 55.000 km and had no problems back than ,but at that time no traffic at all, and yes my speed was max 70 km/hour, people also told me to be calm as there is normal.

My only concern maybe is the cap of the radiator maybe its worn and water evaporated at that precise time but i didn't see any proof of this so I am thinking I am ok for now. Thanks guys, i will report back if any problem during normal terrain.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
70kmh is about 40mph, right? I'm not sure on those conversions. But having the a/c on has a big effect, not only because the strain on the vehicle but that means its already hot outside on top of that. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't go faster as once i reached 70km , very sharp turns were in my way. Anyway tried it today, all day long driving in normal condition, slow traffic drive, AC on, temperature outside 40 grade Celsius not a single attempt to overheat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts