Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the summer, we have been noticing a strange vingar-like odor coming from the air vents in our '03 Sedona. It started suddenly and originally smelled more like cat urine. It comes and goes without any seeming reason. After the guys in the shop checked it, and ran some kind of a/c cleaner routine, it got better, but now it's back.
I've read some comments on some of the other model forums, but haven't seen if any one else has had this trouble with the Sedona, and how they fixed it.

Our shop has a high turn-over rate with managers and mechanics, but I will say they stick with something until they get it right.
I was just hoping for some info going in, because sometimes it seems they don't know much about what might be going on. (It took them about 3 tries to get the a/c expansion thing figured out and fixed)
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
I would check to ensure that the aircond water drain is open, sounds like some stale condensate lying in the base of the collector under the evaporator. I would Insist that your mechs/techs double check the a/c water drain is open and clear. Water collects under the evaporator in normal operation and should drain away thru a outlet in normal operation. If it doesn't or can not drain away it sits under the evap and mould etc forms and it smells musty, often described like cats urine smell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments.
I took in a printout of other comments I found on this forum site (different models) and the service guy said it really helped. They've ordered a new condenser and blower. May only be a temp fix, since the parts aren't updated, just new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts