1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
strange noise, right side, when revving engine? - SOLVED

Hi,

Just noticed something strange happening with our 07 Rondo V6. When I accelerate firmly, I hear a kind of strange noise coming from somewhere on the right front side. It's hard to describe...almost like a fan sound, or percolating sound...not bubbling, but almost like a humidifier sometimes makes. At the same time, the acceleration seems "choppy" and "lurchy"...not bad enough to be obvious, but noticeable if you're watching out for it. And transmission shifts during that acceleration seem a bit "lurchy" as well--again, not like I'm being thrown against the windshield, but noticeable if you're looking for it.

It's fairly subtle, as I said, but definitely noticeable. Another odd thing: the issue doesn't appear to occur when sitting in Park and revving the engine; it's only evident when driving in forward gear.

ANy ideas what might be happening here? I'm pretty clueless about car stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
My guess idler pulley.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, last week I took it to my local town shop. The guy drove it with me in the passenger seat, heard the noise, said "sounds like a wheel bearing." Ok, sounded plausible enough.

Yesterday they replaced the wheel bearing to the tune of $176 CDN. Couldn't tell if it was making the same noise on the way home, because it was pouring rain. Today, I drove to work--exact same noise still there.

One other bit of troubleshooting info--the noise occurs with or without the air conditioning running. And it's actually a light occasional squeal, almost like a belt going bad, plus the other sound coming from the wheel is a sort of scraping noise, as if plastic or metal is scraping against something. But they said they didn't see anything amiss when the replaced the wheel bearing, so....????

The thing I'm struggling with is that I'm trying to sell the car, so I'd rather not start pouring money into trying to figure out what this is and fix it. I don't know whether to go down the rabbit hole of trying to get the Kia dealership to have a look at it, or whether to just hope no one hears it (ugh), or what.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Check your idler pulley's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the suggestion. I'm just wondering though, since the car only makes the sound while in motion, I don't know if this is going to reveal anything...?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem is fixed. Brought it to a second mechanic. He brought it into the hoist, looked at it for 5 minutes, brought it back out, and said the noise was caused by the heat shield. He removed the shield, sound is now gone. I confirmed it driving to work. Wish I'd have found that out before I had to spend $175 on a new wheel bearing!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
On the bright side, you found out what mechanic to never go to again, and a mechanic that will be getting more business from you! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the bright side, you found out what mechanic to never go to again, and a mechanic that will be getting more business from you! :)
True enough! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess my next question is: What exactly IS a "heat shield", and since the mechanic removed it, would it be something I'd need to replace? I mean if it doesn't need to be replaced, one wonders why it was on there in the first place ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
It was a heat shield for your exhaust, I would not worry about it. If he took it off you really didn't need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts