Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got my 2011 Soul Sport serviced and re-registered and noticed that after a couple of days I was getting this knocking sound, originally sounding like it was coming from below the front seat, around the undercarriage. So I took it back in, they said everything looked A-OK, and we were unable to reproduce the noise. I thought it might have been due to me inadvertently putting in some lower-than recommended octane gas which may have caused some knocking/pinging, but now the noise seems to have migrated to the other side of the car. Same kind of sound, only coming from the right side, underneath. I'm wondering if perhaps a bolt or nut that came loose or wasn't replaced properly after the last service has been causing these sounds. I plan on taking it in Monday, and fortunately I don't need to be doing any heavy commuting for a few days, but I have been quite anxious while driving it on the highway as of late. Wondering if anybody has experienced this or has any ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
The only "Knock" I've ever heard was the seat belt flapping against the side panel when I opened the pass window while driving. There is not a lot under the car (under seating areas) that could knock. The engine/tranny/axles are all well forward of the seats. Perhaps the heat shielding around exhaust has come loose and moves? Just guessin...

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
these are so difficult to comment on as we can't actually hear the sound, what can sound normal to one personal can be totally alien to another. Sometimes why dealers/garages have such a hard time narrowing down what this type of problem is.

Not sure what re-registered means with regards your comment, is this a US or Utah thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are dealing with the same exact issue with our 2011 Soul Sport. It is staying at the dealer until they can pin it down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it back to the dealer and they said they thought the heat shield had been loose, however the knocking/thumping has now returned, so I will return it to the dealership and leave it with them until this can be resolved. Maybe a retorqueing would be the answer. I may tell them to drive it on the highway for a good 1/2 hour or so, as that seems to be the situation most likely to produce the noise. Thank you all for the replies! :)
(btw, I guess I meant renew the registration on the car, rather than re-register conwelpic)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts