Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In the past month, my 2012 Sorento LX with ~24,000 miles (purchased used at 10k mi) has started making what I can only describe as a "hollow chirping" noise when the air conditioner is running.

The sound seems to be coming from the glove box or center console - definitely on the passenger side of the vehicle - and sounds similar to the sound you'd make if you flicked the side of a big PVC pipe with your fingernail or dropped a water droplet onto the bottom of an upturned 5gal bucket.

It ONLY happens when the A/C is set on fan speed 3 or 4, and is aggravated upon initial acceleration from a stop and when turning the vehicle left. It'll happen 2-3 times upon initial acceleration and then again every 3-4 seconds (varying intervals.)

Since I'm second-owner I don't have the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and before laying out diagnostic/investigative $$ I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and/or had it repaired?

Thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
760 Posts
Not sure, but I'd guess the drain is clogged and condensation/water has built up ad that's what you're hearing.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
The clogged drain is a strong possibility. Does the car leave a water puddle after you park it when the A/C has been running? It should.

I haven't slithered under mine to find the drain line. Can anyone guide AH into finding his so he can try clearing it?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento
140 Posts
Hi all,

In the past month, my 2012 Sorento LX with ~24,000 miles (purchased used at 10k mi) has started making what I can only describe as a "hollow chirping" noise when the air conditioner is running.

The sound seems to be coming from the glove box or center console - definitely on the passenger side of the vehicle - and sounds similar to the sound you'd make if you flicked the side of a big PVC pipe with your fingernail or dropped a water droplet onto the bottom of an upturned 5gal bucket.

It ONLY happens when the A/C is set on fan speed 3 or 4, and is aggravated upon initial acceleration from a stop and when turning the vehicle left. It'll happen 2-3 times upon initial acceleration and then again every 3-4 seconds (varying intervals.)

Since I'm second-owner I don't have the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and before laying out diagnostic/investigative $$ I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and/or had it repaired?

Thank you so much! :)
I've had the same thing happen, as well as a howling noise that is intermittent in the winter. The dealer advised that it may be a variety of items in the AC system failing, improperly lubricated or just plain noisy. It still works so I haven't investigated further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts