Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when my driver window is fully down and hit the "auto up" function on my switch the window will go up about 1/2 way, stop then go back down till about 3 inches of window is above the top of the door panel.

What could cause this? Has anyone else seen it before?

2018 EX w/4cyl
I have the upgrade dash display, but not the package that includes the power liftgate.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's a strange one, never seen that before. My gut instinct on that would be that it has something to do with the programming, and quite possibly a reset would clear it if it is just a software glitch. That said, if it still does it, then there must be some sort of mechanical / physical cause to it. If the vehicle is still under warranty you will want to go to the dealer to remedy the problem.

Here is the window reset procedure from the owners manual

If the power window does not operate normally, the automatic power window system must be reset as follows:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Close the driver's and passenger's window and continue pulling up the driver’s power window switch for at least 1 second after the window is completely closed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a strange one, never seen that before. My gut instinct on that would be that it has something to do with the programming, and quite possibly a reset would clear it if it is just a software glitch. That said, if it still does it, then there must be some sort of mechanical / physical cause to it. If the vehicle is still under warranty you will want to go to the dealer to remedy the problem.

Here is the window reset procedure from the owners manual

If the power window does not operate normally, the automatic power window system must be reset as follows:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Close the driver's and passenger's window and continue pulling up the driver’s power window switch for at least 1 second after the window is completely closed.
I'll check my owners manual. Thanks.
Are you referring to "Key On Engine Off" or "Key On Engine Running"?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the exact same issue you are having with the auto-up on my '17 SX. Took to the dealer and they replaced the window motor and its working fine now. I thought it was something simpler too but turns out the entire motor assembly needed swapped. They replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the exact same issue you are having with the auto-up on my '17 SX. Took to the dealer and they replaced the window motor and its working fine now. I thought it was something simpler too but turns out the entire motor assembly needed swapped. They replaced under warranty.
So have you had any more issues since the dealer changed out the power window motor?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So there is my update.

I went in to my dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty window switch. They ordered a new switch assembly.

New switch assembly arrives and I go back in to get it changed on my lunch break. The switch bodies are the identical but the plug socket for the harness is different. They reorder another switch assembly.

Yesterday I go back in on my lunch break for the new new switch assembly. They install it and subsequently find out that the auto-up function still does not work properly. Now they say they need a new motor. So I now get to spend at least another lunch break for the motor change.

You know it's almost as if I had mentioned that someone on the Kia form had this exact problem and they needed a motor.... oh wait... I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts