Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 EX 4 x 4
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed with our 03 EX 4x4 (17,500 miles)that when releasing the break from a stop and then pressing the gas, I hear an audible creaking sound coming from the left side of the car.

I can't pin it down though..sound almost like the body creaking or something.

We did have the car 4 wheel aligned the other day, but can't recall if this noise was heard before the alignment or not. Could it be the wheels maybe?

We have the KIA brand side stepping boards (round type) for what that's worth.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I might be hearing? It doesn't sound bad per se, just annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:)
There was a known prob with the front nuts rubbing the chassis on some running boards. Have a look to see ... reckon that could be it !

Mark
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
"There was a known prob with the front nuts rubbing the chassis on some running boards."

Huh?

The running boards are bolted directly to the chassis. I'm confused.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Might it be a sticking brake caliper and the creaking is the pad being released when the car starts to move?

The other point of course is that sounds notoriously travel around cars so it might not be coming from the left side at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just took mine in yesterday for a popping/creaking noise. '05, had it a month, Sport Package.

The front bracket on the step boards has a bracket arm that is bolted to the frame. The bolt that holds it is not threaded, but is a bolt with a wing nut. It is known to work loose.

If you look at the front brackets on both sides, you will see that there is a mounting point bolt on the inner body, 2 bolts that secure the board to the bracket and the bolt that holds the bracket arm to the frame. The bracket arm bolt on the frame is the suspect bolt. The factory installed bolt was free spinning and the bracket was moving against the frame.

My dealer driled new holes and installed a self-tapping bolt.

Since yesterday morning, no popping/creaking.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
They just changed some things about a month ago. There were aluminum thread plates that sort of hooked into the body that were kind of a joke. A month ago they changed them to steel, so they're quite a bit more durable. Looks like this is a reason for the change. There is also some in the frame, and those too were changed to steel.

They're nice running boards though. A company called Dee-Zee makes them. If you know trucks at all, you've heard of Dee-Zee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts