Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for information on the transferability of the 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty of Kias and keep finding conflicting information. I am looking at a 2007 Sorento being sold by a Kia dealer that is NOT currently certified. I told them that I'm interested but only if they will certify it because I was under the impression that the only way I would get the balance of the warranty was if it was sold as such. They told me that this was the case and that they would be willing to work with me on the price. Forgive me, but I regard car dealers as a necessary evil and don't trust them very much. Can someone confirm that if a certified pre-owned Kia is bought from a Kia dealer that the balance of the factory warranty transfers? If so, what do I need to do to make sure that this happens? Do I need something in writing? Do I need something directly from Kia stating that this is the case, etc...?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
If it Kia certified used than yes, you get the rest of the 10Y 100,000 P/train warranty. A Kia dealership is the only one that can certify a used Kia. There is huge check list, anything they find has to be fixed, then it's certified! Yes, you will need the certified paperwork, all signed and completed! BTW, I work for one of those "necessary evil" dealerships you speak of........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it Kia certified used than yes, you get the rest of the 10Y 100,000 P/train warranty. A Kia dealership is the only one that can certify a used Kia. There is huge check list, anything they find has to be fixed, then it's certified! Yes, you will need the certified paperwork, all signed and completed! BTW, I work for one of those "necessary evil" dealerships you speak of........
I appreciate the info and sorry for the stereotyping. I've only bought one other vehicle from a dealer in my life and it was not a great experience. Hopefully this time will be different. So I will just need to make sure that I am getting specific documents from the dealer stating that the warranty transfers?

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
I appreciate the info and sorry for the stereotyping. I've only bought one other vehicle from a dealer in my life and it was not a great experience. Hopefully this time will be different. So I will just need to make sure that I am getting specific documents from the dealer stating that the warranty transfers?
Don't worry about the evil thing, just giving you some sh#$. LOL You should be fine, as long as you get the correct paperwork! Get a copy of the certified check out sheet, make sure your Sorento's vin# is on it. And any paperwork that states your Sorento is now Kia used certified and that the P/Train warranty is now valid and in your name, or that they have sent in the transfer paperwork.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
can you get a used Kia certified, if it did not come from a dealer? I bought one from a car lot, that has 57,000 on it. Would be interested in achieving the 10 yr 100k warranty if possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
can you get a used Kia certified, if it did not come from a dealer? I bought one from a car lot, that has 57,000 on it. Would be interested in achieving the 10 yr 100k warranty if possible.
Sorry...no way for it to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts