Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Rondo LX I4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Black Rondo "7"; LX w/ I4 was stolen from my driveway on April 30, 2012; right from under my nose while I was inside working late at night.

It has never been recovered or even a hint of what happened to it.

I have searched CL and such, always looking for someone selling "parts" etc.
I know from my experience with Turbo Buick Regals, CL is a commonly used vehicle for low lifes selling chopped car pieces.

I recently see there is an I4 2007 engine for sale in my general vicinity.
As usual, the CL ad guy is very sketchy.
Most of these CL guys are usually.

I am going to try to go look at this engine.

My question is:
Is the VIN, or some segment of the VIN stamped, attached, etc to the engine therefor allowing me to match an engine number with a vehicle VIN.

If so, does anyone know where it is on the engine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Call your local police dept. Tell them what you are planing to do.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Good thought Cobra...
They are "equipped" to handle situations like this and have undercover detectives who WILL check the VINs. If the engine is actually stolen then they have the right methods and tools to catch the bad guy
In everyones lives we have lost something to thieves and feel the same way about our property and about being violated...
Who knows? You may help others with identifyable parts at that location by giving the police a "tip".
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Rondo LX I4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm a little surprised that a Moderator and a SuperModerator replied without any substantive information, effectively hijacking my thread.

I wasn't crying out for sympathy or advice of how to handle low lifes.
I know how to handle low lifes.

My question was simple and straight forward as to if or where the VIN is on the Rondo engine.

Not whether or not it was good idea, if I have well equipped police in my town, or other.

You obviously do not live in Atlanta, nor had a car stolen in Atlanta.
They do not even come to your home to take a report.
It's all "phone it in" - "we don't have time".
Code speak for - "we don't give a damn"
I placed 4 seperate calls to the detective, leaving voice mails each time, and NEVER got a reply.
And I do not live in Atlanta proper - where apathy and downright corruption rule the day.
I live in a bedroom community outside of Atlanta in a county that taxes and spends way more than they should on so called "first responders"
Spare me the police will get real interested theory.
Because they do not.
Only if you serve it up to them on a silver platter, then they still need to decide if the crime was commited in their jurisdiction, if they don't have lunch break coming up, if their supervisor will concur etc etc.
They are basically useless.
As far as being well equpped, they are mostly well equipped to write speeding tickets
Trust me - I'm as well equipped as these Barney Fifes.

Now - all that said - and back to the topic of the thread - I'm hoping someone has some real or real useful information about where the VIN is on the engine.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
I'm sure you are frustrated, but taking the law into your own hands or trying to help the "useless" police probably isn't the wisest decision...

As for where the VIN is, you might be able to find the exact position on KGIS for the Rondo. BobTucker gave some input as to the VIN location on the Sportage, which will probably be similar to the Rondo.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I'm a little surprised that a Moderator and a SuperModerator replied without any substantive information, effectively hijacking my thread.

I wasn't crying out for sympathy or advice of how to handle low lifes.
I know how to handle low lifes.

My question was simple and straight forward as to if or where the VIN is on the Rondo engine.

Not whether or not it was good idea, if I have well equipped police in my town, or other.

You obviously do not live in Atlanta, nor had a car stolen in Atlanta.
They do not even come to your home to take a report.
It's all "phone it in" - "we don't have time".
Code speak for - "we don't give a damn"
I placed 4 seperate calls to the detective, leaving voice mails each time, and NEVER got a reply.
And I do not live in Atlanta proper - where apathy and downright corruption rule the day.
I live in a bedroom community outside of Atlanta in a county that taxes and spends way more than they should on so called "first responders"
Spare me the police will get real interested theory.
Because they do not.
Only if you serve it up to them on a silver platter, then they still need to decide if the crime was commited in their jurisdiction, if they don't have lunch break coming up, if their supervisor will concur etc etc.
They are basically useless.
As far as being well equpped, they are mostly well equipped to write speeding tickets

Now - all that said - and back to the topic of the thread - I'm hoping someone has some real or real useful information about where the VIN is on the engine.
You come here looking for help and this is how you "handle" yourself???
What I gave you was advice, that is all! There is NO info in my Kia parts catalog about where the vin is on any engine. Car companys don't like to give out that kind of info. Why? then the theives would know where they can scratch it off when they steal our stuff. The police would now where it is THAT'S why I said what I did. If you don't like the cops in your town maybe you should move! Is this info "REAL" enough for you?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2007 Rondo LX I4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the info - I will check it out.

The commentary is just so uneeded.

All I know, is some proto-typical Craigslist wierdo is posting a I4 engine from rondo for sale.
That's it.
After almost a year after my car went stolen.
Without some other hard fact this would hardly be the type of investigation the cops would entertain.
They certainly don't go out looking at every Craigslist ad that MIGHT have a VERY LOOSE connection to a certain stolen car in the next county over.
Cmon - use your head.

I'm doing basic investigatory work here.
The odds of this being THE engine from MY car are slim, very slim.
This is hardly taking the law into my own hands.

Taking the law into my own hands would be:
If I went and saw the engine
And if it was actually my engine
Then I put a gun to the back of the low life and tell him to get on his knees.
That's taking the law into my own hands.
But hardly my game plan.

Let me offer you an education on a situation that happened in real life.
I'm a life long Turbo Regal owner / collector
2 years ago, at our national event in Bowling Green, KY; someone had the balls to steal not one, but two full blown towing rigs, trucks / trailers & the Grand Nationals attached to them.
Now Bowling Green, Ky isn't a big town.
And there are basically 2 decent roads in and out.
The crime was reported within one hour of it occuring, so you would think such rigs would have been easy to spot by the KY State Police or other, roadside local yokels.
I mean it's only a dually Pickup, a 18 foot trailer holding a big black Buick Gran National x 2!!!!
But nooooooooooooo...nada...zippo
Take a report, file, nap...clock out.
the Bowling Green police dept couldn't have cared less - in spite that this event draws hundreds of peopel and injects many dollars into the local economy.
Nope - all they thought was cool was to bust people for doing a burnout.

But we have a very close, and tight knit Buick Turbo Regal community.
And within hours came in tips they were spotted on I-75 heading north.
We actually had members stationed along the highways, north south east and west.
"Taking the law into their own hands" I suppose"
Many internet posts and other things were done behind the scenes, to get the word out.
A tipster called within 5 hours reporting someone tried selling him one of the Grand Nationals, but due to the headlining of the story by the TurboBuick family, he knew it was too hot to handle.
Thru the dillgence of the regular ole guys in the group, a sting was put in place to determine the low lifes identities.
Once this was done, and only then, the Michigan State Police Auto Theft Task Force was involved, and the 4 low life perps nailed at their house in Ecorse, MI.
Seems these dirt bags went to Alabama for their dear ole mother's funeral, decided to stop by Bowling Green on the way home since one of them actually onws a 85 GN, and then boost 2 full blown racing rigs.

But it was ONLY due to the efforts of us commmon citizens that resulted in not only nailing these dirtbags, but getting one of the 2 cars back.
The truck was conveneiently dropped off at a local McDonalds within an hour of the scumbag's arrest.

If you think I'm making all this up - Google the details and you'll see the news stories

Moral of the story - the cops are generally stupid, lazy and sit on their ass filing paperwork.
This ain't tv and CSI.
It takes normal people, with above normal intelligence and motivation, to make it happen.
If that's taking the law into your own hands - then someone has to do it.
Don't be like a lamb being led to the slaughter.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo LX I4
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, with the hijacking and silly irrelevent comments

I asked a simple question about VINs on Engines.

I handled myself respectfully and directly.
I pointed out I didn't need sympathy or advice jsut looknig for VIN info.
Not true on the car companies not revealing where the VINs are.
I have several that readily make that info available so as to point out where one should look to verify a car is indeed not stolen.

I asked a simple question about VINs on Engines.

Maybe I should move.
How childish that sounds.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Crusader, Cobra259 and DavesSpectra aren't hijacking your thread, they are simply trying to give you wise advice...

That said, with all the time spent on making a point, have you looked on KGIS yet? It doesn't take much time and might help you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
facing the engine, its suppose to be on the right, lower block of the engine casting. When I had my Rondo I could never find it, so its not an easy thing to see.
If the engine is not in the vehicle then it should be easy to spot. Checked KGIS, its not very precise in its location, you just have to search in the general area.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
Stupid... but why not call KIA? Give them VIN and they should have other numbers available.

And honestly? Steal Rondo? It is not some expensive ride that would be really worth the effort... but I guess I must be underestimating Atlanta area.

I am sorry for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts