Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Njerald posted a wheel that was listed on eBay but I was expecting a run of the mill steel wheel. Is this what is lurking under those cheap plastic cookie cutter wheel covers? I was thinking of getting replacement wheels but if this is what they look like I'd be happy with them minus the wheel c0vers. Can any Niro owners confirm this is what is under the wheel covers?

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
oh well, thanks. I mentioned this in another post, but went to the dealership and the map LED lights on my touring are not LEDs so they are trying to figure out more info.
Not much to figure out, the Kia website is wrong.

I'm sure they are LEDs in some country as even the Owners Manual Mention it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know what the bolt pattern and offset is for the wheels on Niro?
bolt pattern is the same 5x114.3 Kia/Hyundai standard and Ngerald stated I think the 18" is 40 offset, but I'm not 100% sure about the offset. I think he stated anything between 40-45 should be ok. Not sure how offset translates when you opt for different diameter rims.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other question regarding removing of wheel covers for the 16" Niro wheels. Does removing the covers reduce the aero effect to a significant degree? I was wondering if removing the covers for weight savings would outweigh the reduction of aero effect. What say you?

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
bolt pattern is the same 5x114.3 Kia/Hyundai standard and Ngerald stated I think the 18" is 40 offset, but I'm not 100% sure about the offset. I think he stated anything between 40-45 should be ok. Not sure how offset translates when you opt for different diameter rims.
Ebay listing said 45 offset

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was surprised to see that 16" stock OEM rim sold for $99 plus around $40 shipping.
I'd potentially get them for that price. Anyone have a link to the auction so I can contact the person who sold them. I'd even trade someone my 18inch for their 16 inch if I can find one locally. That would be the best option. I wonder if the hyundai ioniq 15 inch rims fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the rims and wheel covers, intend to put good snows on them for next winter. The seller, who was 10 minutes from my house, got them from a dealer who did some aftermarket rims for a customer. The wheels and covers were basically new.

The size is 16 x 6.5 with a 45mm offset and with a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. The wheel weighs about 18 lbs. The covers are for aerodynamics of the car above about 40 mph. All hybrids have had some type of wheel cover and/or close spaced spokes to provide a 2-5% mpg boost at higher speeds, one of the easier aero mods for the manufacturers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
One other question regarding removing of wheel covers for the 16" Niro wheels. Does removing the covers reduce the aero effect to a significant degree? I was wondering if removing the covers for weight savings would outweigh the reduction of aero effect. What say you?
Speaking as an experienced Mechanical Engineer, you would not be helping the cause for fuel efficiency. The light weight of the covers will have a larger effect of drag on the wheels then the effect of weight from those covers, even since it's un-sprung weight. (DRAG > WEIGHT) It could end up being negligible; though, because the difference is so small.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the rims and wheel covers, intend to put good snows on them for next winter. The seller, who was 10 minutes from my house, got them from a dealer who did some aftermarket rims for a customer. The wheels and covers were basically new.

The size is 16 x 6.5 with a 45mm offset and with a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern. The wheel weighs about 18 lbs. The covers are for aerodynamics of the car above about 40 mph. All hybrids have had some type of wheel cover and/or close spaced spokes to provide a 2-5% mpg boost at higher speeds, one of the easier aero mods for the manufacturers.
If they are only about 18# then I guess I have no need to look for aftermarket wheels as I figured the steel wheels Kia would use would be 20-25# per wheel. WHen I was looking on TireRack I found 16" wheels for the price I wanted to pay around 18-20# so I wouldn't be saving any weight going that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really though those were rims and was looking for aftermarket wheels, but I kind of like the wheels under the covers! Might Tahoe them off and see what kind of MPG drop I get hit with.

Anyone happen to know the thread and pitch needed on the lug nuts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really though those were rims and was looking for aftermarket wheels, but I kind of like the wheels under the covers! Might Tahoe them off and see what kind of MPG drop I get hit with.

Anyone happen to know the thread and pitch needed on the lug nuts?
I don't know what the threads are for those wheels; but, if you take the covers off please take a few pictures for us. On and off the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts