Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage sx fwd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any link or info on the 2.0 turbos boost level and or manufacturer after 2017 Thank you

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
Any link or info on the 2.0 turbos boost level and or manufacturer after 2017 Thank you
Boost level in the 2.0T is dependent on ambient temperature

The ECU appears to be programmed to meet a certain engine output level. Typically in colder weather turbo cars experience an increase in output power for the same boost level due to the increased efficiency of the colder/denser air.

Not so in the 2.0T. i monitor boost level all the time on mine and see typically 18 psi boost in the hot summer weather (+30c.) But max boost drops to 14 psi at -10 C ambient.

This would appear to be an attempt by the ECU to not exceed a preset torque level, regardless of ambient temperature.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The limitation may also vary by the gear and road speed. Part of the reason is to prevent torque steer and wheelspin which was prevalent in the early 3G SX (FWD). It follows that higher boost would be allowed in higher temperatures to maintain a certain torque limit because the hot air is less dense, providing less oxygen. Whatever it does, its not noticeable to me - it always seems to have the same power. In a perfect world, this could allow the AWD to have a higher torque threshold but I doubt that happens.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
498 Posts
Boost level in the 2.0T is dependent on ambient temperature

The ECU appears to be programmed to meet a certain engine output level. Typically in colder weather turbo cars experience an increase in output power for the same boost level due to the increased efficiency of the colder/denser air.

Not so in the 2.0T. i monitor boost level all the time on mine and see typically 18 psi boost in the hot summer weather (+30c.) But max boost drops to 14 psi at -10 C ambient.

This would appear to be an attempt by the ECU to not exceed a preset torque level, regardless of ambient temperature.
Sloppy, Thanks for that Turbo Boost information! Mostly impossible to find this nugget of 'tribal knowledge' on the internet.
Good to know! 14 psi boost (almost one complete additional atmosphere at sea level) is considerable!
Lou

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
Sloppy, Thanks for that Turbo Boost information! Mostly impossible to find this nugget of 'tribal knowledge' on the internet.
Good to know! 14 psi boost (almost one complete additional atmosphere at sea level) is considerable!
Lou
it just takes a little instrumentation......knowledge is power.

i agree, the "seat of the pants" feedback feels the same in hot or cold ambients. And as you point out there are almost certainly other factors (traction/gearing) that affect the boost level real time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts