Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kia Stinger GT2
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received word from my dealer the transmission on my 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 will need to be replaced . I just hit 19,000 miles so I'm surprised to say the least. Thankfully it is under warranty, but I'm extremely disappointed in the reliability of my first Kia. I'm the only owner and I've babied the car the entire time I've owned it. I'm also disappointed the fix from the dealer has gone from a 5 day fix to now a 10 day fix. It has been 8 days since I dropped my car off at the dealer and the new transmission "should be on the afternoon trucks."

Needless to say I will be thinking twice before purchasing another Kia. I was eyeballing the Telluride for my wife, but now I'll look elsewhere. Anyone else having similar reliability issues with their Stinger?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0 tGDI AWD
196 Posts
Every vehicle, regardless of make or model, can have failures in major components. this is the first i hear of an issue with a transmission in a stinger (ok, i haven't looked at ALL the posts but have been looking for a while).

That is why you have a warranty, because IF something happens within the time the manufacturer expects the vehicles to operate without fault, it's there to fix it. Kia has been wining reliability awards over and over for years now. just because you had one major component failure does not mean that the rest of the fleet will have similar issues. So it's taking a bit of time to get the parts and get them installed. They are fixing it for FREE.

Sure, i just had the BCM fail on my sorento, and I've only been able to find mention of a handful of others who have had this done. Does that mean that ALL Kia BCM modules fail? It's not like Dodge that had transmission issues for years making their reliability scores go down. Or Ford with the wrongfully designed proprietary sparkplugs in the 3 valve 5.4 L V8 that can make the plug break in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would focus on overall statistics for the brand rather than one incident. There is not a single manufacturer that has zero failures.

Also, look at technology used, not just the brand. For example, CIV transmissions have higher failure rates than conventional transmissions across all brands.

More and more these days, manufacturers are sharing manufacturers of all components, including transmissions. For example, JATCO makes transmissions for several car makers including Nissan, Chrysler, GM, and Mitsubishi. So to answer your question you would really have to go component by component through the Telluride and see if it uses any tech that has been problematic in any make of vehicle, not just Kia. Are the Stinger and Telluride transmissions similar in design at all? Are they both made by Hyundai/Kia or are they made by separate third-party companies? Lots of googling to find the answers.

Probably better to trust quality surveys. Blindly switching because you are one of the customers who had a failure could be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
367 Posts
Every manufacturer has a warranty to fix things like this.

My wife and I have had 5 KIA's in 10 years now..........and we'll readily buy another without issue.

I'd recommend a transit pass......but on second though, their buses and trains also have mechanical issues as well. Looks like you will need good shoes.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX-T FWD
167 Posts
I just received word from my dealer the transmission on my 2018 Kia Stinger GT2 will need to be replaced . I just hit 19,000 miles so I'm surprised to say the least. Thankfully it is under warranty, but I'm extremely disappointed in the reliability of my first Kia. I'm the only owner and I've babied the car the entire time I've owned it. I'm also disappointed the fix from the dealer has gone from a 5 day fix to now a 10 day fix. It has been 8 days since I dropped my car off at the dealer and the new transmission "should be on the afternoon trucks."

Needless to say I will be thinking twice before purchasing another Kia. I was eyeballing the Telluride for my wife, but now I'll look elsewhere. Anyone else having similar reliability issues with their Stinger?
Something else I noticed and experience is KIA's service department is garbage. They tried to tell me a job I could do in less than 10 minutes with a credit card and screw driver would require 2 days and pulling the entire dash. When all it was in fact was a simple cover that pops off and one screw to replace the center console speaker that plays the turn signal sound.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
73 Posts
Ford with the wrongfully designed proprietary sparkplugs in the 3 valve 5.4 L V8 that can make the plug break in the cylinder head.
I'm having flashbacks.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts