Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Hearing that the Stinger GT AWD Starter replacement is a big deal; e.g. 3K replacement if not under warranty. Can someone confirm this, or not?

Wanting a Stinger GT but reserved on the buy given this concern, albeit 5 years from purchase.

Many Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
Hello everyone,

Hearing that the Stinger GT AWD Starter replacement is a big deal; e.g. 3K replacement if not under warranty. Can someone confirm this, or not?

Wanting a Stinger GT but reserved on the buy given this concern, albeit 5 years from purchase.

Many Thanks,
Did you hear that from a reliable source?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Mr. Jonathan Woods, a Kia Sales Manager @ Browns Manassas KIA spoke to one of his senior technicians and said the following: Tom told me to get back to you about the starter concern. You'd need to remove one side of the motor mount to get to the starter. cost would be parts plus approx 1-1 1/2 hrs labor hours(145 an hour). So, he is basically saying that the starter BIG issue is not true.

BTW: my original thread did not state that the possible issue is with the V6 only. My apologies for that and I look forward to confirming this as true or false.

Best,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

Called Kia Customer Service to get labor hours for replacing the starter on 2018 Stinger GT AWD. They said that I had to go to a Dealer / District Manager. Called a service department local to me directly. Now labor hours was quoted at 3 1/2, not 1 1/2 @ $400 labor estimate. Adviser said he needed to check with Service Manager because hours are not in the system yet. With the Service Manager having gone to the class, and working on all Stingers. I am not sure how to get to a 100% confirmation. He said, she said. Wonder where you would get a Service Manual on the how to?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Update:

Called Kia Customer Service to get labor hours for replacing the starter on 2018 Stinger GT AWD. They said that I had to go to a Dealer / District Manager. Called a service department local to me directly. Now labor hours was quoted at 3 1/2, not 1 1/2 @ $400 labor estimate. Adviser said he needed to check with Service Manager because hours are not in the system yet. With the Service Manager having gone to the class, and working on all Stingers. I am not sure how to get to a 100% confirmation. He said, she said. Wonder where you would get a Service Manual on the how to?
will KIA not sell you a service manual?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
LOL... worried about a starter change cost on a car he does NOT have and is posted as 5 YEARS away from buying if he were to buy one.
I would be more worried about being able to find and replace the BATTERY more than a starter!

I smell a TROLL !

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
LOL... worried about a starter change cost on a car he does NOT have and is posted as 5 YEARS away from buying if he were to buy one.
I would be more worried about being able to find and replace the BATTERY more than a starter!

I smell a TROLL !
Let's not jump the gun here.

"albeit 5 years from purchase." - I take that to mean the time frame after which such a failure could occur.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Let's not jump the gun here.

"albeit 5 years from purchase." - I take that to mean the time frame after which such a failure could occur.
Well the printed word does leave room for different interpretation. But even so, I can think of a LOT more concerns with a Kia than a starter motor replace, there are a LOT of other make vehicles that are just as difficult to work on these days. It is NOT the day of the big American "land yacht" with wide open working room anymore!::crying::

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1st of all, I am not a troll and resent the suggestion. I am a guy that likes the Kia Stinger V6 AWD as a potential future purchase. The 5 years means that the car would be out of warranty then, or sooner if more that 12K miles are driven per year. Then, the car owner would pay for the starter repair out of pocket. Goal of posting this was to get 100% confirmation given that I have heard different responses from 3 sources. Hoping that this post, will yield an accurate resolve and confirmable facts vice being called a troll. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
1st of all, I am not a troll and resent the suggestion. I am a guy that likes the Kia Stinger V6 AWD as a potential future purchase. The 5 years means that the car would be out of warranty then, or sooner if more that 12K miles are driven per year. Then, the car owner would pay for the starter repair out of pocket. Goal of posting this was to get 100% confirmation given that I have heard different responses from 3 sources. Hoping that this post, will yield an accurate resolve and confirmable facts vice being called a troll. Thanks.
MY apologies as to the possible "Troll" statement then.
BUT I will ask for clarification...are you a native Virginian?
And if so, your Sentence structure(grammar) needs a whole lot of improvement, as I posted in posts #7 and # 9. I also stand by my "concern" statement of other things than a starter motor replacement to be such an issue. BUT so be it, it is you who is looking at a Stinger and not me. Good luck in your decision making process, and I hope you come to a HAPPY decision as to what you end up doing about a "possible" purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My grammar on a blog and being called out as being, or not being a Virginian misses the goal of the discussion. Unproductive given that goal of the post is to nail down, with surety, the mechanical work needed if a starter went out on a Stinger GT AWD. Not sure when and how this question will be finalized. And if this forum will be the place that it is done. Looking for factual, productive ways to get to the facts on this repair. Many thanks in advance to all that can add good information to the subject at hand.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Well you may be waiting to see for some time. As this is a vehicle owner operated open forum website and not a corporate managed tech service. Only a possible member that works for the Kia brand or a member that has one and had to have this particular task done would know. So don't let any moss grow on your "south side" waiting here for an answer..you may need to do further inquiries elsewhere on your own. If you really want that model Stinger, I'm sure you will continue searching on your own to get the answer to such a fateful precondition for your decision making process to buy such a vehicle.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is an absolutely ridiculous buying question in the grand scheme of things automotive related. I don't think I have replaced a starter in over a decade, and that was on a 20 year old Porsche 911.

Listen up, it's a $40K USD vehicle............in 5 years of driving there are going to be "many" more things that will either add up to $3K that need to be attended to over time, or which will exceed that amount quite easily, regardless of who manufactured the vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't really agree with your point. This is like a powertrain cost but only for a starter. Let's confirm with the FACTS and let them stand alone once confirmed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I remember having to replace the starter solenoid on my '72 Chevelle Malibu, back in about '80. Since then, no starters replaced on any vehicle I've owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember having to replace the starter solenoid on my '72 Chevelle Malibu, back in about '80. Since then, no starters replaced on any vehicle I've owned.
Wishing that someone would put factual information about a starter replacement on a Kia Stinger, V6, AWD. The whole point of this. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Wishing that someone would put factual information about a starter replacement on a Kia Stinger, V6, AWD. The whole point of this. Ugh.
Please refer to post # 13 That I had. The 2019 is too new a model year even for independent "flat rate" publishers to have that information yet. I looked at a few sites and your initial price of @350-400 would hold IF no changes were made for the 2019 from 2018. You could be waiting a long time for your request to be answered here on an owner driven site (like most are). We are not the Corporate info site here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My factual information is that it's a non-issue. If I were you, I wouldn't be worried about a starter. Your engine will probably need a rebuild before the starter goes out.

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
Some time back we had a couple of Kia tech's that frequented the forum in their personal capacity, who were a great resource, but unfortunately some a-hole members abused them, and they disappeared.

The enthusiast members here are highly unlikely to be in a position to answer your query, so best you persevere with the dealership or Kia Corp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
6 Participants
ron1004
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing