Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've had my fuel injectors cleaned professionally, gotten the spark plugs re-programmed, and replaced my air filter, and I'm still getting around 15mpg tops. Any suggestions on what may be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,591 Posts
Well, I'd try a fuel filter. Could be cloged.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'd try a fuel filter. Could be cloged.
Any other suggestions? I honestly doubt it's the fuel filter as it has pretty low miles still.. but will check out asap.

I also heard of resetting the ecu since I already changed the filter and re programmed the spark plugs? How does that work though?

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
To rest the ECU you need to disconnect the battery for about five minutes, then pump the braks a couple of times, this is to make sure there is no residual current. Hook the battery back up and go for a drive. This sets the ECU back to the factory map. Drive as you normally would and the ECU will start to adjust itself according to the improvements you have made.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra LX
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To rest the ECU you need to disconnect the battery for about five minutes, then pump the braks a couple of times, this is to make sure there is no residual current. Hook the battery back up and go for a drive. This sets the ECU back to the factory map. Drive as you normally would and the ECU will start to adjust itself according to the improvements you have made.
I just reset the ecu, hopefully my gas mileage will improve but I really don't think it could've cost that bad of gas mileage, could it? I see people getting like 30mpg and above on their Spectra's and I'm getting 15. :/

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
sorry to bust in but where is the fuel filter located on this car.
05 spectra

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,954 Posts
It's located within the gas tank.. It surrounds the fuel pump.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
ohh ok. cause i know most american cars fuel filter is in the line itself. well 2 filters one in the line and the other in the pump.

Thanks dave. I might need to replace mines since i never had since i got the car. im also replacing my trans fluid and filter tonight also. i already put 30k in 1 year since i replaced my trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts