Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
First thing, check your tire pressures. If your vehicle is new, they may be overinflated if the dealer didn't check it during the prep process. You may also be able to lower them 1-2 psi and not set off the TPMS light.

You could also consider downsizing to a smaller Sportage wheel (depending on what size you have now) in order to get a tire with a taller sidewall.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
There have been several reports of new KIAs being delivered with 40+ PSI in the tyres. I also agree on putting more rubber between the rim and the road.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
We received ours at 50 psi. So much for the PDI!
Other than lowering to the recommended pressure, You could swap to a smaller diameter wheel, as mentioned above. Tall SUVs need stiff suspension to reduced roll.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
What model Sportage do you have? The SX is designed to be a stiffer sport suspension. Even with properly inflated tires, I have a stiff ride, but with the sport tuned suspension, I expect that to be the case.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
We have an LX with 16in wheels, and I find the suspension harsher than my sport package, 18 in rim, BMW 3 series that I use for autocross/track duty.

I also found the highway mileage surprisingly bad, likely due to ride height and large frontal area, combined with relatively low gearing for 6th gear (6spd manual).

My BMW gets better mileage with an old 6cyl and 5spd gearbox, even though they weigh about the same.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage, 2010 Versa
1 Posts
Hi,
New Guy here. Pulled the trigger on a 2013 Sportage about 2 weeks ago. LX trim, FWD. Previous car was a 2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT. Mine has the 17" rims. Gas mileage is averaging almost 24 MPG. Doing about 55-60% highway driving. I expect the mileage to go up as we get into the spring/summer. Also, most of the gas stations here in PA only sell oxygenated fuel in the winter to reduce tailpipe emissions. The downside is that it cuts into gas mileage.

To your question about ride, I'll admit the Sportage has a bit of a stiffer ride then my old Intrepid, but the Intrepid was also a few hundred pounds heavier, a bit wider, and had a much longer wheelbase.

You could improve the ride quality by lowering the tire pressure a few PSI, but be careful with that. If you deflate the tires too much you could damage them. Going to a smaller rim size would also help but that can get expensive.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Maybe by adding some E-bay urethane coil spring spacers might soften up the ride some, and help handling, & help keep the original ride height.

·
Registered
10 Posts
we just picked up a brand new Sportage SL yesterday. We live four and a half miles from the nearest paved road, and it gets washed out by the ocean sometimes. It gets rough.

The last time I got involved with this kind of issue it was a springy Samurai that rode like a roller skate down a stairwell, and people were saying things about replacing shocks. I seem to remember the words Koni and Biltstein being thrown around a lot.

I'm not seeing that here. Is this basically all that can be done for this suspension? We had a rented Fiat Panda city car that handled the bumps better.

We love the little SUV so far, and early observations agree the ride on bumpy dirt roads could be improved, as well as the noise levels. I think a good solid undercoating might help with the noise, but I'd appreciate some advice on whether or not there's anything I can do to customize the suspension.

Haven't tried towing the boat yet, waiting for our 1200 km before towing break-in. It's got the 2.0 l gasoline engine.

By the way, on the passenger side floor, there is a strip of plastic that covers two square holes, and it says "Frame No." on it. Any idea what the heck that's about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks!

what's a frame number, anyway? I did a search but no joy. Same as VIN/VID?

By the way, checked the tires this morning, and they were all exactly at 47 psi. Lowered to 33 as per manual and it was a big help. Not only in ride but in noise, on a hard packed but rough dirt, sand, and exposed limestone road.
thanks for that hint, too.

you guys are good.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I know the original post is a few months old, but holy crap! Do people not test drive cars? The Sportage has a stiff suspension, the SX is even stiffer, one would notice this as soon as they drove it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's not often that test routes near dealerships have pavement or conditions that replicate all the different types of roads that each individual consumer will be driving upon. For example, the bumpy dirt road test wouldn't be possible in most urban areas. :) Thus, it can be a good idea to either rent the same vehicle, or shop with a dealer that has a return policy, or a dealer that will allow you to take a vehicle home overnight.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,063 Posts
A lot of low information buyers out there...........

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
It's not often that test routes near dealerships have pavement or conditions that replicate all the different types of roads that each individual consumer will be driving upon. For example, the bumpy dirt road test wouldn't be possible in most urban areas. :) Thus, it can be a good idea to either rent the same vehicle, or shop with a dealer that has a return policy, or a dealer that will allow you to take a vehicle home overnight.
Dude, you're nuts, lol. I test drove mine in New Jersey, didn't have to look hard for rough roads. In fact I have never driven a car anywhere where I could find a pot hole or some rough stuff. But good suggestions. :)

I think njerald nailed it; even magazines say the suspension is stiff. People just don't do any research it seems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well, since you've decided to suddenly just be impolite, I'll follow your lead. Just trying to fit in here.

First off did your reading disability totally prevent you from seeing that the suspension question was totally answered by the tire overinflation issue? Guess so. Get someone who can read to explain it to you. I thought I politely thanked people for their help. You're no help. And no thanks are coming. Tire pressure does not equal suspension issue. Again try to find someone with a brain who can put that in terms simple enough for you to handle. Sounds like your total offroad and towing experience consists of getting daddy to co-sign a loan for a cheap car. Wow.

For the rest of you, The "Dealer" here wouldn't let us drive the car at all. Not off their lot. And it's a small lot. If we wanted to drive a KIA, I would have had to rent a 2011 or 2012 rental car. The KIA I rented would not have been the one I wanted to buy, so what's the point? A test drive in a rented car with 33 psi tires wouldn't have shown me why this one was stiff.

As far as being informed, I got a hundred bucks says I've got more 4x4 experience than 90% of you. We bought the KIA because we've been waiting five months for a Jeep JKU and it's not on island yet. We just sold two Land Rover Defenders which we have driven daily offroad for five and eight years. Real SUVs with full time 4x4. A trip to the closest grocery store includes 9 miles of rough driving in a high salt environment. I've owned a long list of 4x4's, and have rebuilt motors, transfer cases, and suspensions. I put a fiberglass body on a 73 Bronco.

So quite frankly, I don't have a lot of patience with some snert in Washington DC of all places, who thinks he knows anything at all about my situation. Some soccer mom wannabe with a reading disability? Nah.

And since nobody bothered to answer simple, honest question about a Frame No., okay. I see what it's like here. Typical.
There's lots of nicer forums around, full of people who actually know what an AWD is used for.

I'll leave here while this bunch of gutless wimps does their typical "piling on" thing. I put that childish bs behind me years ago. You should try it, junior.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
For the rest of you, The "Dealer" here wouldn't let us drive the car at all. Not off their lot. And it's a small lot. If we wanted to drive a KIA, I would have had to rent a 2011 or 2012 rental car. The KIA I rented would not have been the one I wanted to buy, so what's the point? A test drive in a rented car with 33 psi tires wouldn't have shown me why this one was stiff.

As far as being informed, I got a hundred bucks says I've got more 4x4 experience than 90% of you. We bought the KIA because we've been waiting five months for a Jeep JKU and it's not on island yet. We just sold two Land Rover Defenders which we have driven daily offroad for five and eight years. Real SUVs with full time 4x4. A trip to the closest grocery store includes 9 miles of rough driving in a high salt environment. I've owned a long list of 4x4's, and have rebuilt motors, transfer cases, and suspensions. I put a fiberglass body on a 73 Bronco.
First and foremost, although the tire inflation issue supposedly "fixed" the rough handling issue, you bought a car without test driving and are now complaining that it rides too rough. Perhaps now you know you should test drive a vehicle before buying, especially if you have extenuating circumstances which require a vehicle of a specific nature to perform your daily commutes and duties. The same logic could be applied to someone who bought a Ford Mustang without test driving and then complained it had no back seat room for the passengers. I personally would never buy a vehicle without a test drive, and if a dealer told me I cannot test drive a car, I'd tell him to shove it and I'd go elsewhere. It blows my mind people will spend tens of thousands of dollars on something without doing sufficient research. Regarding your 4x4 "expertise", if you're so knowledgeable, why didn't you think the check the tires yourself? Surely one who knows vehicles so well would know that vehicle suspension dynamics can be altered greatly by tires (type, size and pressure), bushing softness, shock rates, etc.

We have a lot of knowledgeable, intelligent and informed members here who I can assure have no "reading difficulties". We're a cooperative forum to people who post questions or problems which aren't stemming from a user's deficient due diligence.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
well, since you've decided to suddenly just be impolite, I'll follow your lead. Just trying to fit in here.

First off did your reading disability totally prevent you from seeing that the suspension question was totally answered by the tire overinflation issue? Guess so. Get someone who can read to explain it to you. I thought I politely thanked people for their help. You're no help. And no thanks are coming. Tire pressure does not equal suspension issue. Again try to find someone with a brain who can put that in terms simple enough for you to handle. Sounds like your total offroad and towing experience consists of getting daddy to co-sign a loan for a cheap car. Wow.

So quite frankly, I don't have a lot of patience with some snert in Washington DC of all places, who thinks he knows anything at all about my situation. Some soccer mom wannabe with a reading disability? Nah.

And since nobody bothered to answer simple, honest question about a Frame No., okay. I see what it's like here. Typical.
There's lots of nicer forums around, full of people who actually know what an AWD is used for.

I'll leave here while this bunch of gutless wimps does their typical "piling on" thing. I put that childish bs behind me years ago. You should try it, junior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't imagine ever purchasing a vehicle from a dealer who had one on the lot & wouldn't let me test drive it.

It's not like we're talking about some irreplaceable classic here, that's ridiculous - I'd spend my money somewhere else!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, since 2Gringos lives on an island in the Caribbean, it may be difficult to find another dealer if the only one is uncooperative regarding test drives. I didn't realize where he was from until I clicked on the link in his signature. And yeah, forums can be harsh towards people. Sometimes "experts" forget that at one point they were just a novice without much experience and knowledge themselves... Nothing to lose sleep over though. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts