Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 Kia Picanto Lx 1.1 Automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Picanto (Automatic) has a stiff throttle pedal, it is hard to get the car moving slowly as the pedal acts as if it catches everytime you push it in more. When I press the accelerator pedal the car jerks forward in result of the pedal being sticky.
My mechanic told me this could be from a bad Throttle Position Sensor + removed and cleaned TPS and throttle body/valve. Has anyone had this problem before?
(The car is now 11 years old since I bought it new from the dealership and this was not a problem before I started using it for 1 year now. Also, the car has been sitting untouched in my garage for 6 years total until I started using it again last year.) Odometer now: ~15000km

Here's a video of me turning the throttle body by hand:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
485 Posts
An 11 year old car improperly stored and untouched for 6 years.......You are in for a plethora of issues which will continue to crop up. You are fortunate the old girl even started and ran! Prior to storing the vehicle you should have asked us 'how to properly store a vehicle long term.' I wish you good luck in bringing the old girl back to life. It may be better to just trade her in as she may very well turn into a 'money pit' as well as a unreliable transport. I

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An 11 year old car improperly stored and untouched for 6 years.......You are in for a plethora of issues which will continue to crop up. You are fortunate the old girl even started and ran! Prior to storing the vehicle you should have asked us 'how to properly store a vehicle long term.' I wish you good luck in bringing the old girl back to life. It may be better to just trade her in as she may very well turn into a 'money pit' as well as a unreliable transport. I
You are right. It didn't run.
I had to replace the battery. It wasn't in my hand to store it long term, it was just the previous owner (my father) never used it (only did 6000km)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just wondering if swapping out a TPS could solve this issue. Is it something I can do by myself?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,069 Posts
A further bit of info being requested here, as I'm not familiar with the Picanto. Is this a traditional cable or electric throttle application?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A further bit of info being requested here, as I'm not familiar with the Picanto. Is this a traditional cable or electric throttle application?
As traditional as cable can be ;). Yes this is a mechanical throttle body.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Well that rules out the thought I had...
Sat a LONG time, did it harshly intake back fire when you first went to running it ? It could be a bent butterfly valve or shaft in the throttle body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that rules out the thought I had...
Sat a LONG time, did it harshly intake back fire when you first went to running it ? It could be a bent butterfly valve or shaft in the throttle body.
I did not quite understand the question, but I think not.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You stated the car was stored for a long time. When you went to get it running, did it backfire thru the intake? This could bend the "valve plate" or shaft in the throttle body causing binding now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You stated the car was stored for a long time. When you went to get it running, did it backfire thru the intake? This could bend the "valve plate" or shaft in the throttle body causing binding now.
I definitely not remember anything in that description ever occuring. (An extra important event I missed to note is that the car has overheated once but my mechanic told me that there is no internal damage as the overheat was brief)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally found the problem with the help of a friend. Turns out the throttle valve spring was too tight and compressed and the cable had extra slack, so we adjusted them until I got the perfect result, no more sticking, now the car starts very smoothly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts