Kia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul Exclaim
29 Posts
Picked up my Soul last Friday and it drives like new now --- no more notchy or sticking steering wheel! Replacing the entire MDPS unit did the trick for me since there isn't an updated steering logic improvement software for the Soul (yet). They replaced the steering rack and pinion as well since my local dealer performed the steering recall incorrectly. I'm attaching the work order for posterity even though this is a Sorento forum/thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed a problem with my steering lately and it has been described by at least one other member here, as a feeling like the power steering is asleep and then suddenly wakes up. I think I have the same issue. What I've deduced thus far is that it happens whenever the steering wheel hasn't been turned for a second. Then when you go to make a small correction, say a millimeter (or 1/16 of an inch) movement, there is heavy resistance followed by a sudden release which usually results in an over correction. Unfortunately this can lead to a vicious cycle of corrections because the pause between corrections causes the steering assist to disengage again and the high resistance followed by another over correction in the opposite direction. I never noticed this before and I thought the car steered great. I think I first noticed this after putting on my new winter tires though I'd be surprised if the tire is cause of the problem. There is no alignment issue or tire balance issue. The ride is smooth and the car tracks very straight. This power steering stickiness occurs at any steering angle and I've had it happen while in a gentle steady highway turn. I do notice it more on highway driving but probably because our highways are relatively straight and I don't turn the wheel often. In city driving with all the turns and bumps, it's definitely harder to detect. I'm going to have to test drive a new 2017 to see if they have the same issue or maybe try driving a different 2016. I also experimented with different driving modes with no results, as well as different steering wheel positions.

Anyone else here notice? Maybe if you drive the freeway, test to see if your's is the same.
I have this same thing. I've figure out it's only when it wet/damp outside. I have an oil change in a few weeks-ill see if they can check it out then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Indeed, the TSB has been updated again since the January rev3 update.
See attached rev4.
Sorento build dates from October 27, 2014 through August 22, 2017 are subject to the update.
If the problem can't be solved via software, then the MDPS must be replaced.
Interesting I have a MY18 Sorento with a build date of sep 2017 and i noticed the notchiness I always thought it was just a normal quirk.. Does this mean I'm SOL for this TSB?

Update: I called my local Kia stealership, apparently they will have a look at it monday and perform the TSB. Hopefully it gets applied!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting I have a MY18 Sorento with a build date of sep 2017 and i noticed the notchiness I always thought it was just a normal quirk.. Does this mean I'm SOL for this TSB?

Update: I called my local Kia stealership, apparently they will have a look at it monday and perform the TSB. Hopefully it gets applied!

Just had my car repaired. It was the steering column. That and the housing had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento V6 LX
4 Posts
I've noticed a problem with my steering lately and it has been described by at least one other member here, as a feeling like the power steering is asleep and then suddenly wakes up. I think I have the same issue. What I've deduced thus far is that it happens whenever the steering wheel hasn't been turned for a second. Then when you go to make a small correction, say a millimeter (or 1/16 of an inch) movement, there is heavy resistance followed by a sudden release which usually results in an over correction. Unfortunately this can lead to a vicious cycle of corrections because the pause between corrections causes the steering assist to disengage again and the high resistance followed by another over correction in the opposite direction. I never noticed this before and I thought the car steered great. I think I first noticed this after putting on my new winter tires though I'd be surprised if the tire is cause of the problem. There is no alignment issue or tire balance issue. The ride is smooth and the car tracks very straight. This power steering stickiness occurs at any steering angle and I've had it happen while in a gentle steady highway turn. I do notice it more on highway driving but probably because our highways are relatively straight and I don't turn the wheel often. In city driving with all the turns and bumps, it's definitely harder to detect. I'm going to have to test drive a new 2017 to see if they have the same issue or maybe try driving a different 2016. I also experimented with different driving modes with no results, as well as different steering wheel positions.

Anyone else here notice? Maybe if you drive the freeway, test to see if your's is the same.
Same here , the issue seems to appear when the temperature drops, in the warmer months it's fine and doesnt happen. What I have learned that helps is when you start your car, turn your steering wheel all the way to the right one whole turn all the way until the dash computer prompts you to align your steering wheel. I also turn it to the left also one whole turn. This seems to reset the computer and aligns the steering straight during that drive cycle.

·
Registered
2016 LX Sorento FWD 7 Pass
19 Posts
16 2.4 FWD here, 59994 miles pulling to the dealership. Attempted TSB flash and the steering module either failed or couldn't accept the update. Replaced steering column. Cant wait for that to happen again. Im just lucky it happened under warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
105 Posts
I have been reading of similar problems over on the Hyundai forum. It seems that this could be caused by the Electronic Power Steering. I haven't heard of electronic power steering until now so I did some reading up of it. It would seem that it could cause a feeling of sticky steering and someone has actually said that their's locked up during acceleration. To be honest, to me, it sounds downright dangerous.
Kia's do not have electronic power steering. There is still a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the gear under the car. What they have is electric assist instead of hydraulic assist, meaning a motor makes the steering easier instead of a power robbing pump driven by the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
112 Posts
Fascinating thread. I have a 2017 with 53k miles and have never noticed this. I guess all I can hope is it goes before my second owner 60k warranty expires.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
620 Posts
Anyone in the United States that has or had the sticky steering issue, I encourage you to submit the information to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA as a safety concern. It only takes about 5 to 10 minutes (make sure you have your VIN). I made a post here:

The more legitimate complaints they get the better as far as getting appropriate resolution to the issue.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
620 Posts
Brought mine into the dealer today with 71,000 miles and it acted up for them. Guess what... It needs a new steering column and it's out of warranty now.

The dealer says they are going to try to get it covered and I already have a complaint open with Kia of America so one way or another I'm going to do my best to get this covered.

I wonder what percent of the Sorentos are having this problem. I am pretty sure the part takes weeks to get based on what I've seen elsewhere on the internet. I suppose it is on backorder.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorrento
4 Posts
Indeed, the TSB has been updated again since the January rev3 update.
See attached rev4.
Sorento build dates from October 27, 2014 through August 22, 2017 are subject to the update.
If the problem can't be solved via software, then the MDPS must be replaced.
THNAK YOU !!!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX
26 Posts
I will have to see if any of the TSB's will work. We have the notchy/sticky steering in our '17. On some highway curves, it will stick enough so as to keep the vehicle turning even through the road (and the ruts from all the cars/trucks) straighten out. Like others have said, it feels like the steering fell asleep until you muscle it enough to overcome the "notch" and it wakes up. This, along with the most awful HID headlight (or any headlights) of any car made that year, transmission issues where it seems like the torque converter isn't working in reverse on morning start-up, a passenger side mirror that occasionally doesn't move, and the infotainment system that crashes occasionally all show to a flawed manufacturing and Quality Control process inside Kia. They need to work these things out if they want to actually have a vehicle in a segment they are targeting.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,323 Posts
@linespice
Off topic: Thanks for the reminder. In 2016, the HID only available on SXL. For 2017, standard on SXL but also optionally available on SX. Dang, it's hard to keep track of the subtle feature shifts between these model years.

·
Registered
Kia 2017 Sorento
2 Posts
I have a 17 Sorento EX, 38,000 miles, with the sticky steering, most noticeable after an hour of driving. Took it in and they did the computer redo, did nothing. Took it back a couple weeks later and they replaced the steering column unit, motor, controller, shaft and assorted. A pretty complex piece of equipment, the dealer billed Kia $1400, suggested retail price would be closer to $4000. Hope they have the bugs out of the new unit.

·
Registered
Sorento 2017 EX v6
159 Posts
I'm bringing it in next week to have it diagnosed, I tried 3 dealers in my area and none had heard from it yet, neither had any of them any outstanding TSB. Do you guys usually print the TSB and bring it with you?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,323 Posts
Certainly do. It's the only way you can work around an ignorant or dishonest dealer service dept that you may be stuck with due to proximity. Fortunately, that's not a problem here, but I used to do it when that WAS an issue. If you need a copy, say something, and we'll attach the PDF for you.

·
Registered
Kia 2017 Sorento
2 Posts
I had it on my phone but they were aware of it, said they had to do the computer issue 1st but no problem when I brought it back the 2nd time. Gave me a loaner for the week.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,323 Posts
Yes, the TSB is clear that they must first attempt to remedy it via code before replacing the parts. So while it's two trips for you, they're stuck with that procedure if they want to get paid by Kia.

·
Registered
Sorento 2017 EX v6
159 Posts
I'm fine with that, but I know they love throwing in the "diagnosis" fee for 150$ because they can't find shit or want to do shit.

If anyone has the latest version of the TSB that would be greatly appreciated :)

161 - 180 of 197 Posts