Kia Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul Exclaim
29 Posts
Picked up my Soul last Friday and it drives like new now --- no more notchy or sticking steering wheel! Replacing the entire MDPS unit did the trick for me since there isn't an updated steering logic improvement software for the Soul (yet). They replaced the steering rack and pinion as well since my local dealer performed the steering recall incorrectly. I'm attaching the work order for posterity even though this is a Sorento forum/thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed a problem with my steering lately and it has been described by at least one other member here, as a feeling like the power steering is asleep and then suddenly wakes up. I think I have the same issue. What I've deduced thus far is that it happens whenever the steering wheel hasn't been turned for a second. Then when you go to make a small correction, say a millimeter (or 1/16 of an inch) movement, there is heavy resistance followed by a sudden release which usually results in an over correction. Unfortunately this can lead to a vicious cycle of corrections because the pause between corrections causes the steering assist to disengage again and the high resistance followed by another over correction in the opposite direction. I never noticed this before and I thought the car steered great. I think I first noticed this after putting on my new winter tires though I'd be surprised if the tire is cause of the problem. There is no alignment issue or tire balance issue. The ride is smooth and the car tracks very straight. This power steering stickiness occurs at any steering angle and I've had it happen while in a gentle steady highway turn. I do notice it more on highway driving but probably because our highways are relatively straight and I don't turn the wheel often. In city driving with all the turns and bumps, it's definitely harder to detect. I'm going to have to test drive a new 2017 to see if they have the same issue or maybe try driving a different 2016. I also experimented with different driving modes with no results, as well as different steering wheel positions.

Anyone else here notice? Maybe if you drive the freeway, test to see if your's is the same.
I have this same thing. I've figure out it's only when it wet/damp outside. I have an oil change in a few weeks-ill see if they can check it out then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Indeed, the TSB has been updated again since the January rev3 update.
See attached rev4.
Sorento build dates from October 27, 2014 through August 22, 2017 are subject to the update.
If the problem can't be solved via software, then the MDPS must be replaced.
Interesting I have a MY18 Sorento with a build date of sep 2017 and i noticed the notchiness I always thought it was just a normal quirk.. Does this mean I'm SOL for this TSB?

Update: I called my local Kia stealership, apparently they will have a look at it monday and perform the TSB. Hopefully it gets applied!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting I have a MY18 Sorento with a build date of sep 2017 and i noticed the notchiness I always thought it was just a normal quirk.. Does this mean I'm SOL for this TSB?

Update: I called my local Kia stealership, apparently they will have a look at it monday and perform the TSB. Hopefully it gets applied!

Just had my car repaired. It was the steering column. That and the housing had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento V6 LX
4 Posts
I've noticed a problem with my steering lately and it has been described by at least one other member here, as a feeling like the power steering is asleep and then suddenly wakes up. I think I have the same issue. What I've deduced thus far is that it happens whenever the steering wheel hasn't been turned for a second. Then when you go to make a small correction, say a millimeter (or 1/16 of an inch) movement, there is heavy resistance followed by a sudden release which usually results in an over correction. Unfortunately this can lead to a vicious cycle of corrections because the pause between corrections causes the steering assist to disengage again and the high resistance followed by another over correction in the opposite direction. I never noticed this before and I thought the car steered great. I think I first noticed this after putting on my new winter tires though I'd be surprised if the tire is cause of the problem. There is no alignment issue or tire balance issue. The ride is smooth and the car tracks very straight. This power steering stickiness occurs at any steering angle and I've had it happen while in a gentle steady highway turn. I do notice it more on highway driving but probably because our highways are relatively straight and I don't turn the wheel often. In city driving with all the turns and bumps, it's definitely harder to detect. I'm going to have to test drive a new 2017 to see if they have the same issue or maybe try driving a different 2016. I also experimented with different driving modes with no results, as well as different steering wheel positions.

Anyone else here notice? Maybe if you drive the freeway, test to see if your's is the same.
Same here , the issue seems to appear when the temperature drops, in the warmer months it's fine and doesnt happen. What I have learned that helps is when you start your car, turn your steering wheel all the way to the right one whole turn all the way until the dash computer prompts you to align your steering wheel. I also turn it to the left also one whole turn. This seems to reset the computer and aligns the steering straight during that drive cycle.

161 - 166 of 166 Posts