Kia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento
5 Posts
Calling KIA customer support and telling them to open a case for possible a safety issue with your car. You may need to at least visit the dealership once before you call though to see what their diagnosis are.
Some dealers see multiple of these issues and will call KIA tech support on their own. When I brought my car in to the second dealer, they were well aware of this issue and even their technician couldn't replicate it on the test drive, they involved KIA and kept troubleshooting for couple of days until they received permission to order parts.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
620 Posts
I contacted my service manager through email and she knew about the issue so that is promising. I am going to bring it in in about a month and hopefully get this sorted out. She indicated that "they 1st go in and check to see if there is a software upgrade" which leads me to believe I may be bringing it in there more than once. I will keep folks updated.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
7 Posts
I have a 2016 sorento and have this same problem. Really dangerous on mtn roads and in snow. It started at about 50,000 or maybe 60,000. My wife first reported it, and I thought she was crazy, because it did not do it when I drove it. Now its at 80,000 and it is now pretty much constant. It can stick so bad that going through a curve on the freeway, if you let go of the wheel it will it will just continue to turn and not return to center. Kia should be issuing a safety recall or there should be a class action. With the prices I read about in this topic, there is no way I can afford to have it repaired. I'm just hoping the accident it causes kills me quick, so I am not left with any medical bills....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX AWD
5 Posts
NHTSA Complaints

If you go to the NHTSA's website and type in "2017 Sorento" you'll see some vehicle info and if you scroll down you'll see a gray highlighted box with the header "FIND RECALLS BY VIN". Just below that you'll see a header: COMPLAINTS RECALLS INVESTIGATIONS MANUFACTURERS COMMENTS. If you click on "COMPLAINTS" you will see 81 of them. Virtually all the complaints labeled as "Components: STEERING" deal with the "sticky or notched" steering issue. The NHTSA makes it very easy to register a complaint on its website. I recommend all Sorento owners experiencing this issue register their complaint related to "sticky steering". Perhaps if enough of us complain, the NHTSA may force KIA to be more proactive in addressing this issue.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
7 Posts
I posted yesterday in this topic and created another one unrelated to this. Both seem to have been deleted or something? Not sure what the deal is. Anyway, I have a 2016 sorento with 80k and out of warranty. This problem started at around 60k, but it never did it when I was driving till recently. Now it does it all the time. I opened a safety case with Kia yesterday. I took the car in today. The service guy was really unpleasant. Stating he has been there 10 years never heard of the problem or replaced a stearing column. He said this blog is probably bogus information and the only thing that matters is what the tech finds. The Kia lady I spoke with yesterday was very nice. She said in cases like this they do see I always had it serviced at a dealer, so that is good. If the tech finds the steering does have a problem (after I pay the 130 dollar diagnositc fee), it will go to the district manager. That person will review the situation, and they may do nothing, they may pay for parts and I pay labor, or they may pay for the entire thing. We will see what happens. I am putting a complaint in with the NHTSA too. Kia needs to do a recall, this situation is really unsafe, especially on snow.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX AWD
5 Posts
Thanks GN. I took my Sorento in for a second time for the sticky steering issue. The first time was a "could not replicate problem" report. Then they discovered that there was a software upgrade recently released and that was performed when I brought the car in a second time just a few weeks ago. It seems to have helped some in that I don't notice the "notch" so much - "notch" meaning that point where you have to add some extra pressure to the wheel - but when you break thru the resistance you find that you have "over steered" and have to adjust the wheel in the other direction. But even after this software upgrade something still doesn't seem quite right. Steering definitely doesn't behave as it did when I first bought the car. This steering issue in my 2017 Sorento appeared around the 12K mark.

Its pretty obvious that my Dealership is not going to go out of its way to address my complaint. I'm going to continue to spend some time behind the wheel to see if I can live with steering as it is. If I can't I will talk with another dealership just because I know that service departments can vary in terms of experience level and professionalism. If that doesn't work I will open a case with Kia. One things for sure, unless Kia bends over backwards to address this, I'll never purchase another Kia again.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
316 Posts
I posted yesterday in this topic and created another one unrelated to this. Both seem to have been deleted or something? Not sure what the deal is. Anyway, I have a 2016 sorento with 80k and out of warranty. This problem started at around 60k, but it never did it when I was driving till recently. Now it does it all the time. I opened a safety case with Kia yesterday. I took the car in today. The service guy was really unpleasant. Stating he has been there 10 years never heard of the problem or replaced a stearing column. He said this blog is probably bogus information and the only thing that matters is what the tech finds. The Kia lady I spoke with yesterday was very nice. She said in cases like this they do see I always had it serviced at a dealer, so that is good. If the tech finds the steering does have a problem (after I pay the 130 dollar diagnositc fee), it will go to the district manager. That person will review the situation, and they may do nothing, they may pay for parts and I pay labor, or they may pay for the entire thing. We will see what happens. I am putting a complaint in with the NHTSA too. Kia needs to do a recall, this situation is really unsafe, especially on snow.
I can assure the useless technician at your dealership that this is not bogus. I live in a relative small area, with a fairly small Kia dealer, and they have seen the problem several times. So much so, they didn't even attempt to duplicate my complaint, they just ordered a replacement steering column and installed it. That was done in December and I have not had an issue since then. If the technician would have contacted the KIA tech hotline, they may have helped guide them in the proper direction. I hope Kia does a recall on this because it is a horrible experience when the steering starts sticking.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
7 Posts
Thanks GN. I took my Sorento in for a second time for the sticky steering issue. The first time was a "could not replicate problem" report. Then they discovered that there was a software upgrade recently released and that was performed when I brought the car in a second time just a few weeks ago. It seems to have helped some in that I don't notice the "notch" so much - "notch" meaning that point where you have to add some extra pressure to the wheel - but when you break thru the resistance you find that you have "over steered" and have to adjust the wheel in the other direction. But even after this software upgrade something still doesn't seem quite right. Steering definitely doesn't behave as it did when I first bought the car. This steering issue in my 2017 Sorento appeared around the 12K mark.

Its pretty obvious that my Dealership is not going to go out of its way to address my complaint. I'm going to continue to spend some time behind the wheel to see if I can live with steering as it is. If I can't I will talk with another dealership just because I know that service departments can vary in terms of experience level and professionalism. If that doesn't work I will open a case with Kia. One things for sure, unless Kia bends over backwards to address this, I'll never purchase another Kia again.
The way i see it might as well open the case with kia. Took 5 minutes and the lady was really nice. Even if your issue is resolved, reporting it may save someone elses life down the road or help hold kia responsible if there is ever a death linked to the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sorento 2018 had the sticky steering issue after 2000 kms and it was really frustrating and not comfortable to drive. I always kept the recommended tyre pressure of 34 psi. 2 days ago I inflated the tyres to 37 psi and the issue was gone. I don't completely believe that tyre pressure can affect the electric steering column, but can anyone with the sticky steering issue please confirm what tyre pressure your sorento has?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento
7 Posts
Got the car back, problem was fixed with a software update.

The receipt says "Verified that steering has notchy feel. Found technical bulletin CHA-060. Performed steering effort test. Steering effort test report 3.8Nm effort to initiate MDPS assist. Result states perform MDPS update needed. Performed MDPS update, verified component number and software. Update Completed and test drove. Steering now operating as designed."

I spoke with the service manager and asked him about it. He said the software update had not been out very long. He also said that they had been replacing the steering column, but it actually says in the bulletin to not replace the column.

Drove it on the freeway and around town. Seems to be working fine now. They only charged the 130 dollar diagnosis fee. I actually am happy they didn't have to tear the car apart. Anytime major work is done other things like clips and wire connectors get broken or not put back in the right place.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul Exclaim
29 Posts
Got the car back, problem was fixed with a software update.

The receipt says "Verified that steering has notchy feel. Found technical bulletin CHA-060. Performed steering effort test. Steering effort test report 3.8Nm effort to initiate MDPS assist. Result states perform MDPS update needed. Performed MDPS update, verified component number and software. Update Completed and test drove. Steering now operating as designed."

I spoke with the service manager and asked him about it. He said the software update had not been out very long. He also said that they had been replacing the steering column, but it actually says in the bulletin to not replace the column.

Drove it on the freeway and around town. Seems to be working fine now. They only charged the 130 dollar diagnosis fee. I actually am happy they didn't have to tear the car apart. Anytime major work is done other things like clips and wire connectors get broken or not put back in the right place.
Thanks for reporting back with an update. I think someone else in this thread posted the TSB number and it was CHA-060 as well. If you look it up via Google, you can download it and it's for 2011-2014 Optimas. Interesting that applies to the Sorento as well. I'm currently in the middle of still trying to address this with my 2014 Soul. Brought it in Dec 2017 and then just one week ago; both times they couldn't replicate the issue. And of course on a 3-hour trip yesterday, the notchy feeling was very evident and it sure made the driving that much more fatiguing. My bumper-to-bumper warranty is up in August so I'm trying to get this resolved by then. The shop manager said last week that h wasn't aware of any steering logic improvement software for the Kia Souls, but he was aware of it for the Sorentos.

·
Registered
sorento ex+ v6
22 Posts
January 18, 2019 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: TSBCHA060_R3
Components: STEERING
NHTSA ID Number: 10152912

Manufacturer Communication Number: TSBCHA060_R3

Summary

TSB: ECU UPGRADE ? STEERING LOGIC IMPROVEMENT - This bulletin has been revised to include additional information. This bulletin provides information related to the MDPS ECU software upgrade for some 2011-2014MY Optima (QF), produced from August 2, 2010 through July 27, 2014, and 2016-2018MY Sorento (UMa) vehicles, produced from October 27, 2014 through August 22, 2017, which may experience a notchy feel in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
sorento ex+ v6
22 Posts

Summary

TSB: ECU UPGRADE ? STEERING LOGIC IMPROVEMENT - This bulletin has been revised to include additional information. This bulletin provides information related to the MDPS ECU software upgrade for some 2011-2014MY Optima (QF), produced from August 2, 2010 through July 27, 2014, and 2016-2018MY Sorento (UMa) vehicles, produced from October 27, 2014 through August 22, 2017, which may experience a notchy feel in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul Exclaim
29 Posts

Summary

Thank you!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul Exclaim
29 Posts
A year and two months after the first time bringing it in for this sticky/notchy steering wheel issue, I'm finally getting the entire MDPS (Motor Driven Power Steering) unit replaced, which includes the steering column, steering motor, and control unit. I brought it in twice to my local dealer and they were unable to replicate. Since I was going out of town to visit my in-laws (3.5 drive), I made an appointment with a dealership that was 30 minutes from their house. I did a ride along with the shop foreman for about 10 minutes and he was able to the steering wheel sticking some. Not as bad as the Optimal and Sorrento's, but enough to write up the repair order. During the 3.5 drive up, I felt it for about an hour and then it went away. I was sure they were going to also say they couldn't replicate it because I couldn't replicate when I pulled into the parking lot. They gave me a 2019 Sorento to drive back home this weekend as they didn't feel safe letting me take my Soul back; it should be ready sometime next week. They're also replacing the front steering rack since a previous recall was not done properly at my local dealership regarding a pinion gear.

Kia of LaGrange was super great to deal with. The service director, advisor, and shop foreman were nothing like I ever experienced in my 25 years of car ownership - it was the best experience at any dealership ever. They understood my frustrations and situation with warranty being up in August of this year...and could tell I was becoming disenchanted with my local dealer and wanted to make things right. The SD said that it'll approximately be $3K after all said and done.

I also opened up a case with KMA via email prior to driving up, and there were very proactive and wanted me to provide results from my visit so they assess everything prior to suggesting a course of action. My local dealer ship has had a huge turnover in the 2 years I've been going there; been bought out twice, probably at 5-8 new service advisors, and three different GMs. It's been a nightmare. For any serious warranty or service items, I'll gladly drive the 3.5 hours to see the in-laws and have this awesome dealership service my Kia Soul.

Will report back again with the paper work when I get it back next week.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,323 Posts
Indeed, the TSB has been updated again since the January rev3 update.
See attached rev4.
Sorento build dates from October 27, 2014 through August 22, 2017 are subject to the update.
If the problem can't be solved via software, then the MDPS must be replaced.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 197 Posts