Kia Forum banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
61 Posts
So, just drove our new to us 2016 Sorento on the highway for about an hour and experienced this. Got through the first couple of pages and thought, "Man I hope there is an answer to this." Wow... another trip to the dealer. Thanks for the TSB.

Update 02/27/20

Got the vehicle back from dealer and they updated the software. We'll see if it comes back.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL front wheel drive v6 auto
22 Posts
I just took my 2016 Sorento SXL to the kia dealer today. They drove the car and told me it needed a complete replacement of the steering gear assembly. They gave me an estimate of over 4000.00. I do have the Kia extended warranty. They are going to call tomorrow to see if it will cover it. It called PPL or somrthing like that.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
620 Posts
My dealer replaced components in the steering rack under warranty at 70,000 miles. I had it in there twice before while in warranty for the sticking issue. I had contacted corporate KIA too this most recent time as I was going to do everything I could to not pay for a know problem with the car and they were very responsive.

The part is not updated from the original so it may well have the same issue down the road but hopefully they get this figured out sooner or later. It has been about a month and so far so good.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
61 Posts
Been about a month since we got just the software update. Issue has not reoccurred.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL front wheel drive v6 auto
22 Posts
My MPP warranty is paying to have the steering unit replaced. I pick up the car tomorrow.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
316 Posts
Back in December of 2018, I had my steering column replaced on my 2017 LX for this sticky issue and I have not had a problem since. My parents have a 2017 SX that has started to exhibit the same exact behavior as mine did with the steering. I sent my dad this TSB and he took it into his Kia dealer and they couldn't duplicate this issue because as most of us know, it tends to happen more when the weather is cooler. They went on to tell him that this TSB doesn't apply to the SX and they have never seen the steering issue in an SX Sorento. I call total BS. This TSB says nothing about the SX and above trim levels being excluded. I just want to confirm, there are people that have had this TSB performed on an SX?

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX 2.0T
90 Posts
I have an SX, but I am in Canada and I don't think the US and Canadian SX are the same. The Canadian SX, for 2017 at least, is one step below the top one, the SX+. I had the fix on my 2017 SX.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i don't drive our suv much, even less so on the highway where this issue is really noticeable.

finally drove it on a two-hour trip to see family and pretty sure i felt the "notchiness" again. very frustrating. gets very annoying as it is hard to make those minute adjustments. find yourself constantly monitoring what the steering wheel is doing.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Sonata Limited
1 Posts
For those that have been doing research into this problem and out of warranty like myself, I found the root cause. I have a 2014 Hyundai Sonata and if you didn't know, they're almost the same car. I took the steering assembly out of the car to replace the coupler that goes bad. Unfortunately the coupler wasn't the issue, it was in great shape. I started to investigate more to find where its binging in the column... its in the worm gear in the gear box the electric motor is attached to. Inside I found a metal worm gear turning a large plastic gear. The grease was in horrible condition. I cleaned the grease but unfortunately I only has spray white lithium grease in my garage. I caked the gears with grease, put it all together and problem solved. However, a month later and the grease I chose is failing me. Ill have to do it again and maybe add a grease fitting.

This repair is NOT for average home mechanics. This is VERY involved. You'll also need a snap ring tool for two of them. Remember to lock the wheel in place and don't lose the position of the steering wheel and keep the clock spring center! ALSO, disconnect the battery before removing the steering column! If removed without doing this step, you'll get a traction light on the dash and have to take it in for a steering relearn procedure. I took it to a shop, not a dealer, and they knew exactly what I needed. Charged me about 70 bucks and 30 mins later I was done. All I got to say is good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm considering a 2017 SXL cpo. It comes with the original 10 year/100k limited warranty. Is this repair covered under that warranty? Reading through, I've noticed some members talking about it being covered under extended warranties. I won't bother with it if it isn't covered under the 10 year/100k warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
620 Posts
I'm considering a 2017 SXL cpo. It comes with the original 10 year/100k limited warranty. Is this repair covered under that warranty? Reading through, I've noticed some members talking about it being covered under extended warranties. I won't bother with it if it isn't covered under the 10 year/100k warranty.

Thanks
No, it is not a "powertrain issue". I got my covered at 70,000 miles (after the 60,000 bumper to bumper was gone) by bitching to my dealer and KIA NA about having it in there twice before for the issue when they couldn't duplicate the issue (it was sporadic at first). They may not cover it past 60k miles.... though it is somewhat common and if you approach it as a safety concern they might cover it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it is not a "powertrain issue". I got my covered at 70,000 miles (after the 60,000 bumper to bumper was gone) by bitching to my dealer and KIA NA about having it in there twice before for the issue when they couldn't duplicate the issue (it was sporadic at first). They may not cover it past 60k miles.... though it is somewhat common and if you approach it as a safety concern they might cover it for you.
I think I'll pass on the Sorento. Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Forte 5 EX
2 Posts
My 2016 Forte5 EX has been exhibiting this "sticky/notchy steering" bug pretty much since it was new. It's not too terrible in my case, but it's annoying as hell driving on the interstate with the "notchy" steering... especially when straight ahead seems to be back and forth through one of the "notches". For you geeky types like me... I imagine it being as if the steering wheel has like a 256-position digital encoder to turn the wheels (or at least adjust the power assist). I do find that the steering control has some (minor) effect.. the "comfort" setting seems to exhibit the "notchiness" less than my preferred "sport" setting. But on balance I usually leave it in "sport" mode, especially driving around town.

I've asked the dealerships about this a few times and they just short of shrug. My girlfriend just picked up a CPO used 2018 Forte LX with 34K miles yesterday, and I drove it back the 1 hour+ trip on the interstate. The steering on that car feels perfect in all three modes (although I still like the "sport" mode the best).

I looked up the KIA Service Bulletins CHA060 and CHA084, and it seems like these might be applicable. CHA060 is specific to Optima and Sorrento, but includes a diagnostic flowchart with solutions from updating ECU firmware to replacing the steering column. I guess I'll have a more informed chat with the dealer now and see if I can make some progress. The car is about 3.5 years old with just 28K miles, so I shouldn't get any grief about it being a warranty repair. Have folks been generally successful in getting the dealer to spring for a rental if they replace the steering column?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
316 Posts
For those that have been doing research into this problem and out of warranty like myself, I found the root cause. I have a 2014 Hyundai Sonata and if you didn't know, they're almost the same car. I took the steering assembly out of the car to replace the coupler that goes bad. Unfortunately the coupler wasn't the issue, it was in great shape. I started to investigate more to find where its binging in the column... its in the worm gear in the gear box the electric motor is attached to. Inside I found a metal worm gear turning a large plastic gear. The grease was in horrible condition. I cleaned the grease but unfortunately I only has spray white lithium grease in my garage. I caked the gears with grease, put it all together and problem solved. However, a month later and the grease I chose is failing me. Ill have to do it again and maybe add a grease fitting.

This repair is NOT for average home mechanics. This is VERY involved. You'll also need a snap ring tool for two of them. Remember to lock the wheel in place and don't lose the position of the steering wheel and keep the clock spring center! ALSO, disconnect the battery before removing the steering column! If removed without doing this step, you'll get a traction light on the dash and have to take it in for a steering relearn procedure. I took it to a shop, not a dealer, and they knew exactly what I needed. Charged me about 70 bucks and 30 mins later I was done. All I got to say is good luck!
This is good info. If you do open it up to grease it again, can you take some pics along the way? I would be very interested in seeing this.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts