Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of days ago my g/f was driving home and she told me the car was bogging down.

I took a look at it and noticed the front right caliper was just locked down. The car wouldn't roll downhill in neutral due to the brake pads being pressed onto the caliper---it was damn hot too. It was pretty late so I decided to wait till morning to look at it. It had 0 problems after sitting overnight--so I drove it for about 10 minutes and it happened again. I did a full system bleed/replaced all of the brakes and rebuilt the caliper. After about 10 minutes of driving it happened again---that front right brake would just slowly clamp more and more on its own till it seized up. So I just bough a brand new caliper made sure everything was greased properly---new slider pins and did another full bleed. After about 10 minutes of driving it happened again. Now this time I noticed it was extremely hard to get that front right caliper to push fluid back into the master cylinder--the only way to compress the caliper pistons was to open the bleeder valve.
Is the master cylinder bad? Absolutely no check egine/ABS/ESC lights have come on.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,498 Posts
After 2 calipers and a re-adjustment of my master cylinder rod(on a Ford Taurus) I finally replaced the MC and cured my problem. So to answer your question: Yes it could be your MC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping its not something with the ABS im trying to avoid taking it to the dealer at all costs---charging $110/hr JUST to diagnose it and them not being able to tell me how long to diagnose is just absurd. If it was a solid $110 to diagnose I'd do it.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
I recently replaced a master cylinder on an 08 Sorento for this exact problem. Has been fine since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts