Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On all the motors I have previously serviced I have been in the habit of removing my brake pads to clean and copper grease the pad lugs and the brake housing pad guides each year. I did this after advice from a car mechanic I was always happy to listen to. His explanation was, as far as I can remember that the pad lug area of disk brakes was its Achilles heel. He told me the mild steel brake pad backing plates and the cast iron slots tended to rust due to the large amount of salt deposited on our roads each winter. When I removed my disks shortly after my third year service and the passing of my first MOT to skim badly worn and corroded disks I had to remove my old pads with a chisel they were so badly rusted in.
I remember having been informed on this forum no work of this nature is normally undertaken during Kia servicing in the first three years and, if this is correct, can anyone on the forum tell me just when this sort of maintenance work is possibly done. Is it, I wonder, done only when new disks and pads are required?
I was not at all surprised on clocking my disks on the lathe for run out I had at least five thousands of an inch and assumed it was due to prolonged brake friction and that my disks had consequently warped.
I have now planned, whenever I take over a new vehicle to find a slight incline where can release my handbrake and in neutral read off my speed at some point further along my test course. Then while I am still under warranty on any re-run I will know when all is not well and my pad lugs could possibly need a bit of tender care. Why Kia did not find my rusted up pads worries me as I assume a rolling road test should find a fault of this nature?

·
Banned
130 Posts
On all the motors I have previously serviced I have been in the habit of removing my brake pads to clean and copper grease the pad lugs and the brake housing pad guides each year. I did this after advice from a car mechanic I was always happy to listen to. His explanation was, as far as I can remember that the pad lug area of disk brakes was its Achilles heel. He told me the mild steel brake pad backing plates and the cast iron slots tended to rust due to the large amount of salt deposited on our roads each winter. When I removed my disks shortly after my third year service and the passing of my first MOT to skim badly worn and corroded disks I had to remove my old pads with a chisel they were so badly rusted in.
I remember having been informed on this forum no work of this nature is normally undertaken during Kia servicing in the first three years and, if this is correct, can anyone on the forum tell me just when this sort of maintenance work is possibly done. Is it, I wonder, done only when new disks and pads are required?
I was not at all surprised on clocking my disks on the lathe for run out I had at least five thousands of an inch and assumed it was due to prolonged brake friction and that my disks had consequently warped.
I have now planned, whenever I take over a new vehicle to find a slight incline where can release my handbrake and in neutral read off my speed at some point further along my test course. Then while I am still under warranty on any re-run I will know when all is not well and my pad lugs could possibly need a bit of tender care. Why Kia did not find my rusted up pads worries me as I assume a rolling road test should find a fault of this nature?
I can not imagine any servicing these days by franchised dealers carrying out the work you describe

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can not imagine any servicing these days by franchised dealers carrying out the work you describe
Have to agree with you on this one Disbeliever. The days of preventive maintanance are seemingly coming to an end and “Bolt a new part on” maintenance coming more and more to the fore. The twenty minute brake pad clean up and the £4oo disk and pad replacement bill make sense to the dealers I suppose. A good fall of snow and lots of salt must make them smile.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts