Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install an aftermarket MP3 player in place of my current stereo.

Does anybody know how to remove the current audio system? Has anybody done it? Any suggestions as to where repair manuals could be obtained?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by farnone@Dec 11 2004, 12:52 PM
I would like to install an aftermarket MP3 player in place of my current stereo.

Does anybody know how to remove the current audio system? Has anybody done it? Any suggestions as to where repair manuals could be obtained?

Thanks
Pry up console trim to transmission shift. Unbolt trim from center portion of dashboard, pry out and move trim forward slightly to enable you to disconnect several wiring connectors on the back of the plate. With plate removed, radio unbolts easily and comes right out. Repair manual on internet Kia site.

Allan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by agoldarbit@Jan 16 2005, 02:25 PM
Pry up console trim to transmission shift. Unbolt trim from center portion of dashboard, pry out and move trim forward slightly to enable you to disconnect several wiring connectors on the back of the plate. With plate removed, radio unbolts easily and comes right out.
I was wondering if maybe you could give a little more detail than this. I, too, am trying to remove the factory stereos from both my 2004 Optima LX and 2001 Rio. I'm trying to install a new stereo in my wife's Optima (and in my Rio) and when I showed her your post she was understandably a little worried about the mentioning of prying anything up... she's convinced I'm going to break something. :p And I'm not all that certain that I won't!

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
You wont break anything. It is a pretty durable stuff. Just use a rag so when you go to pry you wont damage anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by 04Sorento@Feb 14 2005, 06:22 PM
You wont break anything. It is a pretty durable stuff. Just use a rag so when you go to pry you wont damage anything.
It's not THAT durable. Part of the console snapped in my hands as I tried to pry it up. :angry: So now I'm right where I started, just with a busted console. I was able to get it installed in the Rio no problem, but that's because I was able to find detailed instructions! The Optima is proving to be much more difficult.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
This is what I found on another website.........
basically gotta take the panels where the automatic shifter is off i didnt find any screws holding them on, they pop off with a little force, then there's two screws underneath there holding the panel where the stereo is and that then pops off with a little force, there's a few wires holding it on then one for the clock and the hazard signals that i couldnt get off easily, i also had to turn the car on and put the shifter in neutral cause the shifter was in the way to get the panel out enough to move it... then theres 4 screws holding the stereo in that feels like their soldered in there...and getting the connector out of the back of the radio again took quite a bit of force... might be worth it to just have it installed took me about an hour of slicing my fingers and such...

Sorry to hear you broke your console. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! I was able to get the stereo out, my XM Commander wired in and the whole thing is installed and working perfectly. Thanks much! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts