Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently tried to install a Pioneer Double Din deck into my 2005 Kia Sorento EX. I purchased a wiring harness that the salesperson guaranteed me would work. After connection all the wires, started the vehicle and the deck lit up beautifully, but no volume from any speaker...I thought it could potentially be a deck problem so I used a 9V battery to check the individual speakers connections and nothing (I was expecting a crackle). What am I missing??? I'm hoping it was just a faulty harness but...

Thanks All

·
Registered
16 Posts
[attachmentid=857]check to see if you have an amplifier under the front drivers seat (black with heat sinks), if you do then the output of the radio is bieng amplified by the car amp, causing problems. I added a sub amp to my lx and tapped into the speaker wires at the amp under the seat, those wires go directly to the speakers and not through anything allowing me to use the 9v battery to pop and test them. You might have to run jumpers and bypass the amp if you have one. I am sure that you can find a way to connect the stereo but not sure if you will be able to use the stock amp. I would check for an amp first. this forum has lots of great advise hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did it but its not a fair question for me to answer because I am an -x- stereo installer from way back. The easiest way for you to bypass the amp is to run all new wires to each speaker that way you dont mess with the factory wiring and if you ever need to put it all back its not that hard to undo--caution keep all your speaker plugs with a little pigtail of wire on them so that you can re-use if necessary later. while your at it if you plan to change the speakers that would be a good time to do it since you are taking apart all the door pannels to run new wires. Its not hard to do but use at least a 16 guage wire for the speakers(not the ca-ca that comes with most aftermarket speakers). Also remember this... if you are planning to add an after market amplifier to those speakers, you will need to connect those new wires to the amp so think in advance if you blan to add an amp. lets face it the stock amp is no brute but think of how the speakers will sound without an amp using just the head unit power. Any way you look at it the head unit, even if it "high power" still wont be as good as an external amp. So now that i gave you more stuff to think about... plan plan plan first, cut wires later.
:thumbsup: Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts