Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I just recently purchased an 98 Sportage. I live in a country called Kyrgyzstan and most vehicles here are twice as expensive as the states and have been beat down by the pot holed roads. (just to give you an idea of the condition this vehicle is in).

Needless to say, I have a list of issues to work through. One being wobbly steering. I know it needs a serious alignment and some new tires, but before I do an alignment, I wanted to see if there might be some damaged steering components I should replace first. details as follows...

-Steering seems Loose (like I'm driving a lifted jeep on 45s)
-at slower speeds, the steering wheal feels like its "bobbing" right and left
(not as noticeable at higher speeds.)
-pulls to the right (I assume the alignment will right this)

Thats about it. Just wondering what steering components would be considered "wear" parts and need to be replaced. I have done a sufficient amount of mechanical work, but never on the steering system.

any advice?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Bushes on steering/idler arms need looking at.
General security of front suspension.
Inspect for damaged wheels (no longer round/wobbly when you lift car and spin them).
Damaged tyres (bulging can cause "bobbing" at slow speeds).
Pulling to right is not a symptom of minor alignment issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The first three things I would check (because I have seen them go in Sportages) are

1) Front control arms with ball joints
2) Tie Rods
3) wheel bearings

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
I just replace both the front wheel bearings and the Idler arm is a little loose too. About %100.00 American for Timkein and seals. Ball joints still good and control arm bushings. On a 2000 Sportage. Going to Roll the main and rod bearings this weekend 170K mi....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I would let everyone know what happened with this problem. I went to get new tires and turns out 3 of the 4 rims were out of shape. They are steal rims and they simply rounded them back out and behold it drove straight and smooth. I still have play in the steering, but its not enough to cause me to do any work on it just yet. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thought I would let everyone know what happened with this problem. I went to get new tires and turns out 3 of the 4 rims were out of shape. They are steel rims and they simply rounded them back out and behold it drove straight and smooth. I still have play in the steering, but its not enough to cause me to do any work on it just yet. Thanks for the help!
Good news; thanks for the update. It might have been partly due to the old tyres, since they probably had taken quite a beating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts