Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with steering on my 2010 Ceed. At various speeds there is a slight wobble that can be felt through the wheel and also to a degree through the seat and the rest of the car. Also, when turning the wheel on the move, it doesn't turn as smoothly as it used to, if that makes sense. Seemed to start last week, so we took it to have the front wheels rebalanced, but the problem is still there.
Just taken it to have the back ones checked and tracking done if necessary, but after visually checking the tyres (jacked up and turning by hand) they said they were slightly misshapen on the back. They didn't take them off to balance test on the machine, nor has the tracking been done as they said tracking wouldn't be the cause of the issue, but tyres could be. Advice given was to leave tyres as they are as still within legal limits, but some perishing present, if I can put up with the wobble.
I've done just that as loathe to spend £200 on new tyres especially if they are not the cause. Car booked in for service in 3 weeks, so will get main dealer to check everything, but is there anything else to consider? Steering components, suspension, brakes etc? I know it's difficult to diagnose by description, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Just taken it to have the back ones checked and tracking done if necessary, but after visually checking the tyres (jacked up and turning by hand) they said they were slightly misshapen on the back. They didn't take them off to balance test on the machine, nor has the tracking been done as they said tracking wouldn't be the cause of the issue, but tyres could be.
A balance issue is normally most noticeable around the 70-80mph region. If a wobble occurs at lower speeds it is not a balance issue. If you watch your washing machine as it spins up, you will notice it going through an out of balance phase and then it smooths out. Exactly the same principle.

If the tyres are misshapen, it would be noticeable at low speed and can't be balanced away.

The diesel engine sometimes has a hesitation type wobble (not to be confused with the vibration at low revs commonly called "labouring") which usually manifests in top gear at about 50mph.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Sounds to me as though some of the wheels are "out-of-round". They can be balanced, but you will still get an effect like a "clown-car" that has eccentric wheels. The "turning" difficulty could be an indication that the tyres are failing internally. What brand?

Cheaper brands of tyres are more likely to show this effect, but it's unusual to be as bad as you describe. Have a look at the size of the (balance) wheel weights; if they are quite large, that indicates that the tyre is likely to be lumpy. Check by rotating with the wheel jacked up. You will see a little wobble, but it should only be about 1 mm if the tyre is OK. The Michelin and Yokohama tyres that I have on my cars only have small balance weights.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A balance issue is normally most noticeable around the 70-80mph region. If a wobble occurs at lower speeds it is not a balance issue.
Tyres can be out of balance at any speed. I have owned cars in the past where the steering shook at 50 mph yet was fine at 70 mph (or higher).

If the rear tyres are out of balance it will not affect the steering but you will notice a vibration or humming sound possibly.

The fact it can occur at any speed and the steering feel has changed I would suspect it could be a wheel bearing or CV joint. You don't want either of those failing while you are driving, get it checked by Kia ASAP.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Did you check the front tyres for "wobble"?

Another thing to look at is steering arm and bushing. I'd be surprised if the problem was bearings or CV joints; car is fairly new and these problems generate a lot of noise before they cause problems like you describe.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Tyres can be out of balance at any speed. I have owned cars in the past where the steering shook at 50 mph yet was fine at 70 mph (or higher).
Did it go away after balancing? Without that assurance I am sceptical it was balance.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I have visually checked the tyres for bulges etc also visually checked CV boots for splits etc. Kwikfit said they had each wheel jacked up and visually checked, plus confirmed no play in the wheels.
The problem is at it's worst at about 15, 30 and again at about 40mph. At higher speeds it seems fine.
Car has just done 25,000 miles. Tyres are original Michelins and car will be in for service in 3 weeks along with first MOT.
I'm no mechanic unfortunately, but I wonder if Wry 'Cuda may have hit the nail on the head, as the driver's side has 95g and the passenger side has just 35g (see attachments). Does this seem excessive?
Potholes are everywhere around here at the moment - have done our best to avoid them, but sometimes it's too late and you're on the pothole before you see it so wonder if this may have damaged the offside tyre.
Apologies to anyone who is a polisher - I admit my car is filthy at the moment, just haven't had any spare time to give it a clean ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'm no mechanic unfortunately, but I wonder if Wry 'Cuda may have hit the nail on the head, as the driver's side has 95g and the passenger side has just 35g (see attachments). Does this seem excessive?
Potholes are everywhere around here at the moment - have done our best to avoid them, but sometimes it's too late and you're on the pothole before you see it so wonder if this may have damaged the offside tyre.

Apologies to anyone who is a polisher - I admit my car is filthy at the moment, just haven't had any spare time to give it a clean ;)
Yes, 95g seems a lot. I note that there's 2 layers of weights on that wheel; I've never seen that before. I just checked some of my wheels that have recently been balanced; the steels have 2 x 10g and the alloys have about 30g.

If you have 2 front wheels that are both mis-shapen or unbalanced, they can work together to give variable effects as they get in or out of phase.

Don't worry, I'm not a polisher. Life's too short to polish cars in my opinion. Our Cerato gets a wash once a year (when my son brings it home). He says that a dirty car makes it less of a target for vandals. ;)

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
The problem is at it's worst at about 15, 30 and again at about 40mph. At higher speeds it seems fine.
Balance cannot be the fundamental problem at those speeds. A balance machine can balance out of round objects but that's only for spinning off the ground. For instance, you could put a 50p piece on an shaft and balance it to spin like a top but that won't make it suitable as a wheel.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Balance cannot be the fundamental problem at those speeds. A balance machine can balance out of round objects but that's only for spinning off the ground.
That's why I've stressed "out-of-round", "eccentric", "clown car wheels" etc. Only lumpy tyres will feel bad at low speeds. I'd have those tyres inspected/replaced like a shot; if they feel OK at high speeds, heaven knows what's happening to their structure.

Edit: I just checked 3 wheels at random, spinning them with a tool held near the tread as a reference. All had less than 1 mm deviation in roundness and lateral wobble. The only wheel with appreciable wobble (but still less than 1 mm) had hit a kerb at some stage.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem solved, I think. Swapped the wheel with the 95g of balance weights with the space saver spare, and wobble has disappeared. Obviously the handling feels a little bit different due to the difference is tyre sizes, but seems to confirm suspicions about tyre being at fault. Wasn't able to check for roundness of the tyre due to it being dark and having little artificial light available at the time, so went for the straight swap. Now need to sort out new front tyres :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
I am very happy with the Michelin Energy Saver 2 fitted to my Ceed, the first set lasted 50k and the 2nd are doing the same. Also there is cash back on some Michelin tyres.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plumped for Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance from Blackcircles - seemed to have good reviews & test results plus a reasonable price.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed SW 1.6 CRDi
33 Posts
I'd still consider getting the wheels looked at. Even if they are "out of round" by a mm or two it can affect tyre wear, causing them to end up as described. This is what happened to me. I couldn't feel it through the steering wheel, but could hear it on smooth roads. Turned out to being slight distortion on NSF and NSR wheels due to potholes. Although replacing unevenly worn tyres will solve the problem initially, the wear pattern will return.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts