Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorento V6 LX AWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one experienced whining while steering, mostly backwards out of a parkign spot? Doesn't happen often. I'm not talking pulling all the way one direction and straining the wheel whine. Almost like a fan belt slipping whine but only when I'm backing out of the driveway or parking spot and the steering wheel is turned one direction or another.

Any suggestions of what it might be? 6900 miles.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Whining noise when in full lock position either left or right is normal. check the PS fluid level.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
781 Posts
It's not the whining at full stop that you hear in most cars. It was described well. It sounds more like the sound of old fan belts...not the serpentine belt...slipping but much, much lower volume. I've heard it once or twice and I mentioned it to my service manager. I thought it happened to me while the AC was on full and it was hotter than usual. But I heard it while driving slowly and turning the wheel too. I'm a little over 25,000km.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX GDI AWD Bright Silver, 2012 Rio LX+ GDI Clear White
63 Posts
I would agree with briar14 and check the PS fluid. I had this happening to my older Volvo which had a defective reservoir so air was drawn in the system, causing some whining while turning the wheel. Changing the reservoir and filling with PS fluid to the proper level stopped this.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento V6 LX AWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It sucks that you have a new car and out of no where it makes that noise. The old fan belt slipping sound was the best I could do or like a squeegee being pulled down glass. I know all cars whine when turning the full extent one way or the other. This isn't that. I'll check the resevoir.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento V6 LX AWD
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still doing it. Mostly while backing out of a parking spot. Haven't payed enough attention to see if the air was on when it did it. Resevoir is not leaking fluid. It is dead smack between the min/max line. Doesn't do it every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts