Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
More likely than not your tires or out of balance. Do you feel the vib at a specific speed? If your tires balance out than the next most likely problem would be cupped tires, which is caused by mis-alignment but is only fixed by tire replacement. In the event you do replace your tires, an alignment will prevent future cupping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by Optimus@Oct 24 2004, 05:10 PM
More likely than not your tires or out of balance. Do you feel the vib at a specific speed? If your tires balance out than the next most likely problem would be cupped tires, which is caused by mis-alignment but is only fixed by tire replacement. In the event you do replace your tires, an alignment will prevent future cupping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually tire cupping in most cases has to do with tire rotations. Inside or outside wear is usually a sign of an alignment issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, cupping is an alignment issue, but also weak struts/shocks in some cases. Lack of rotation causes something generally refered to as chopping, which is similar to cupping but happens to all tires to some degree reguardless.
Since I last checked this post, I have been experiancing a vibration myself and it's not my tires (They are only 8000 miles old, haven't slipped a belt, are rotated every oil change and balance out on a Hunter road force machine). My personal theory is a problem in one of the half-shafts.I plan on having Kia address this vibration some time soon when I can live without my daily driver for a day or two, and I'll let you know if they tell me they have had any problems of this sort with other Optimas. My vibration starts around 30 MPH until the low 40's and then comes back at double frequency around 60-65.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts