Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio GDI sedan, 95K miles, automatic transmission
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the volume control switch on the steering wheel of my ‘13 Rio sedan is being funky…for some reason when I’ve used it to turn the volume up on the radio it actually turns it down and the volume down doesn’t do anything…it’s not really a big deal but it’s just more of an annoyance to me..I just want to understand what the hell is going on with it

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
196 Posts
Changing out the buttons seems to solve the problem.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
196 Posts
Actually for around $70 you can get all new buttons in the steering wheel kit that will also add cruise control to your car if you do not have it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a scale of 1 to 10 with one being super easy how difficult would it be to replace all the switches on the steering wheel while possibly adding cruise control for somebody that doesn’t really have much electrical knowledge? Or would it be better to pay somebody to do it? And about how long would it take if there’s no hiccups

·
Registered
2021 Kia Rio LX, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,240 Posts
About a 2 or 3. Follow the instructions in this quote. The only thing I would add it that you should disconnect the battery ground cable before you begin.
If you have a manual yes it will work. I was amazed when i ordered the genuine Kia parts from eBay. I paid only $65 for the whole kit to have crusie control. I have an auto trans. You do NOT need to order a kit with the clock spring. Just a waste of money, don't need it. My kit didn't come with it and the seller assured me that I didn't need it. Was very easy to install, just have to remove the steering wheel. Makes it ALOT easier. Don't even need a steering wheel puller, you can pull the wheel right off. I just recommend that you use a marker to mark where the wheel was you so u don't have a crooked wheel when trying to drive straight. Lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About a 2 or 3. Follow the instructions in this quote. The only thing I would add it that you should disconnect the battery ground cable before you begin.
So every kit(depending on who you buy from)comes with detailed instructions?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
196 Posts
The parts do not come with instructions. It took me exactly one hour to do it. I took the steering wheel off while some videos I found on line the person did not take the steering wheel off. Probably best to pay someone if you do not feel confident in your abilities. It is not exactly hard but removal of the airbag is necessary no matter if the steering wheel comes off or not.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Rio LX, 2020 Ford Escape SEL, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,240 Posts
I didn't take the steering wheel off. I used offset screwdrivers to get the difficult ones out and back on. It would be an even easier task with the wheel removed. One other thing to keep in mind:
It's possible to mix up the connectors. Make sure that the two white plugs go to the switches with the gray plastic backs (left side when facing steering wheel) and the two black plugs go to the switches with the black plastic backs (right side when facing wheel). If you reverse them it won't work but it doesn't do any damage; all you have to do is plug them in to the correct locations and it will work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got a few more questions about the whole process
1. Would I or would not need to get a clock spring
2. A lot of the descriptions on the kits say that it is a no heated type so the question is exactly what is no heated type?
3. I’ve seen where do you have to have a steering wheel puller to pull the steering wheel off but I’ve also Heard you don’t have to have it.. how would I go about pulling the wheel off

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
196 Posts
1. I am fairly certain the seller of the parts could answer that question. In my 2014 I did not need one.
2. I think that my refer to heated steering wheel.
3. I did not need a steering wheel puller. A strong pull was all that was needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts