Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Searched this one and didn't find ought so appologises if it's a re-post.

I fancied the idea of the steering control for the audio, like the cruise control. Brochure showed it on the XS but wasn't fitted when I took the car. Kia UK told me it wasn't available for our market and the photo's used in the brochure were lifted from an earlier US one !! Anyway, with some help from a guy called Jonno (cheers buddy) I discoverd the setup is available for us poor relations in old Blighty. The Kia part number is 967303E310 and costs £31 inc. the vat. if anyone is interested. It comes with another cruise control switch cos the one that is already on is made redundant. The two new switches need to marry up to the loom. The original CC switch that is fitted as per UK spec hasn't got the correct configuration to allow the marry of the audio gear. You need two adaptors then, one being a KIA steering control cable (£4)and the other is headunit specific....in my case a JVC interface(£30 something) All readily available. Word of warning, fitting requires airbag removal to allow switch to be connected. DIY is possible if you know what to do, but with warranty issues etc. etc. best let the dealers do it.
So it can be done. It was the one thing I really missed. My 406 Coupe had it like many cars do nowadays and once you've had it you miss it ! I really think it's safer to have it as well.

I also managed to get rid off the electric aerial problem many owners moan about. Why Kia make it so long and higher than the roof bars is beyond me. My problem was I kept forgetting to switch off the headunit when sticking the Sorento in the garage!! (JVC head not SONY) First week I had it I bent the top section....twice. Anyway, I had a switch put into the CD holder thingy and then cut the blue wire and wired back to the switch. Now I can play CD/MP3 whilst putting it away and not have to worry about killing the aerial again. Looks very neat. Even some radio stations play with aerial down??! Dealer has seen it and is going to offer it. Hope this info is of use to anyone out there.
Cheers
Deks

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
duh..duh, in looking at the audio control pics i noticed the volume control.
i though i read my manuel very well. i never noticed the steering wheel volume control was there. good thing i found this forum it could have been years befor i stumbled upon it , duh, duh
:haha:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you mean you have ithe control fitted but didn't notice it had the volume on the side? Can't get my head round why it's not fitted to UK models.....not even as a factory/dealer option yet the unit is available ? I think they should have made it the standard fit instead of the cruise control. I've never used it, not on this nor any other car it's been on. I tried it once on a friends BMW years ago and as soon as I clicked it on, the car took off like a missile ! Frightened the life out of me. Think it was set at 80mph or something. I always feel I'm not in total control. Spose it's a good feature for long motorway drives but then again in the UK there aren't many m/ways now you can drive more than 2 mile without having to stand on your brakes when some idiot decides he wants to try and kill you!!

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Murphwiz
The interfaces are supplied by InCarTec. Two are needed and will deal with the JVC audios fitted into current Kias.
Part Nos: ICT-28639 and ICT-28-JVC. These can be obtained from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk. (Radio interface and Vehicle interface).
Fitting is straightforward, all functions are available except OFF which defaults to STANDBY ON.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deks
The info you describe is very useful - thanks - but...

on the caraudiodirect site the InCarTec JVC adapter (part number ICT-28-JVC) is shown to interface only with the following JVC models
JVC KD-S71R
JVC KD-S73R

The unit installed in my 2005 XS is JVC KD-G502B.

What was the unit installed in your Sorento...

Do you know if the interface still works with my unit?

thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
Yeah mine's a 2005 with the same head unit as yours. The JVC cable they sell will work ok. And you need the KIA cable as well. One's about a fiver and the other about 30 notes or there abouts.
Deks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deks
Once again thanks for the helpful speedy reply...

So far my dealer has been very good on the few bits of jobs I have asked them to but they seem a little wary on this one. I have told them that its just a plug-in and go job once I have got the parts for them... am I correct ????

Do you know just how much work was involved by your dealer. Were there any problems that you were aware of. How long did it take them to do the work and how much did they charge. I think I need to encourage my dealer and so any info I can give them will help. They have never done one before.

cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't let the dealer do it in the end because he was trying very hard to stiff me 4 hours labour for a job that takes 45 minutes tops ! He wanted £300+ to do it.

So I took it around to a local garage that deal in import 4x4's and he did it while I waited. If I had got the Torx bit I would have done it myself. As long as you let the airbag de-energise for 15 minutes once you have disconnected the battery, it cannot go-off (unless of course you drop it or kick it around the place!) JVC out the dash, remove the original wiring loom, plug in both new cables, fit the two swiches to the steering wheel and stick the bag back on . He charged me £30 to do it. We had a small problem with the speakers in the drivers door not working, but that was because one of the grey wires in the new loom was in the wrong hole. Poked it out, changed it to the correct hole and jobs a good un. There is nothing that the dealer can't do here. Airbag stuff is run of the mill these days.

I told my dealer I'd had it done and asked if the warranty was still ok and he said yes, cos as far as he was concerned Kia parts had been used, the airbag light wasn't on so evrything must be ok.....which is nice :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi
I'm interested in fitting the steering wheel audio controls to my XE, but I notice that all current interested members appear to have the XS model with the cruise control fitted. The XE doesn't have this option, so I am wondering if it will need any additional wiring looms to those already mentioned which probably wont be available from KIA?

I have checked the caraudio direct web site and the interface loom for my Alpine head unit is available, so I am assuming I only need the steering wheel control module, head unit i/face and vehicle i/face adaptors to complete the job, but I don't want to purchase these if my vehicle doesn't have the right loom in the steering column to connect upto.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE
Audio (and Cruise) switch module fitted (took about twenty minutes), works radio CD and auto changer perfectly. Very simple to do and well worth it!

Next project is to change the manual air con to climate control ( if it can be done that is?).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dunno bout that one cos I'm not sure what wiring you would have behind the airbag? Presumably you would have the loom running up there for the switch, just no box of tricks under the bonnet to operate the cruise function. If the loom does run up then can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. The cables from the radio plug into the main loom and all you would be doing is basically adding a switch. Send the member called Jonno a private message/email, he's on this thread about 5 or 6 up from this He's very good on this subject so I'm sure he will be able to help you out. He's fitted 2 lots I think and maybe one was the similar set up to yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deks
Thanks for all the help…
I’ve had a word with my dealer and showed him some of the info you helped me with. He has now agreed to do the work just as soon as I can get all the parts. He is going to let me have an estimate for the job when he has thought about it…

Can you confirm that what I need is 3 elements
1. The Kia audio/cruise control module – Kia part number 967303E310
2. The Vehicle Interface – CarAudioDirect part number ICT-28639
3. The Radio Interface – CarAudioDirect part number ICT-28-JVC

cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
This job is straightforward, just be careful with the trim buttons. Should take no more than an hour.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that's the correct parts, well it was for mine anyway ! I also fitted a switch on the dash so the annoying 30 ft aerial doesn't keep going up even on CD mode ! Like Jonno said as well, make sure they don't butcher/lose the 2 trim pieces that cover the Torx bolts that hold the airbag on. Good luck with the price and don't let em stiff you with "it's a 3 hour job mate" !!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Does anyone have wiring diagram for 2004 sorento
I have just fitted leather seats and need to wire seat power and heated seat controls

1 - 15 of 15 Posts