Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rolled 80,000 miles, but have noticed that when I pull and turn out of my drive-way, go over bumps or go down wide turns where the steering and front suspension is under some lateral tension I'm hearing and sometimes feeling a light clunk.

I have had the front sway bar links replaced about two years ago by Kia and that seemed to temporarily mitigate the problem.

I'm well out of warranty, so am unsure if replacing the end links makes sense or at least if I do replacement, to go with a brand other than Kia.

And/or if it's something else in the steering system like tie rod ends, slop in the rack and/or steering shaft u-joints, etc.

I know there is also a fix for the plastic coupler between the power steering motor and the steering shaft, but I'm fairly certain this particular noise isn't from that. Although I do think there is slop in the steering wheel that could be tightened up by replacing that.

I've dropped in the steering rack, column and sway bar parts break-outs from Kia for reference on potential slop/wear points.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX 2.4L I4 FWD
15 Posts
I would bet it’s the sway bar links. I think these cars have a very bad design that eats through sway bar links. I replaced the original Kia ones at 45k miles and they were clunking well before that. The replacement were suspensia brand from rockauto and they started clunking after only a few weeks. I recently put on moog branded sway bar links from advance auto parts. Seemed to have solved the problem but I’m noticing that clunk slightly again. However it is much less noticeable and I’m pretty happy with it now.

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Mtfix20 Thanks! Unfortunately, my Kia replacements are well out of warranty (1yr. or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first). I had them replaced in 2018. :(

I ordered the Moog K750656 end links that are greaseable. I confirmed this via customer's photos of the actual parts in Amazon's review section - they do have Zerk fittings! :)

Also, I'm going to follow the advice here for greasing whatever other non-Zerk equipped connections: How to Grease Ball Joints with or without a Zerk Fitting | Suspension.com

Thankfully, if my lower ball joints fail, then Moog's replacements are also greaseable by Zerks.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,035 Posts
As above most likely 54830 's
You can test normally by getting someone to rock the front end hard left to right while you grab upper and lower knuckles. You'll feel the play as well as the knock in your hand.

Reactions: Mtfix20

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...and I ordered a grease gun needle so I can grease the other non-greaseable joints.

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2014
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did grease all the factory boots (sway bar end links, front lower ball joints and tie-rod ends), - which by no surprise we effectively bone-dry. Unfortunately, the binding noise is still occurring.

@Tripplec I'll have to try that, though there isn't really an upper knuckle since I think the top of the spindle bolts directly to the base of the gas strut with not flexible joint. So in that regard, I'm not entirely sure how to further diagnose this issue.

The Moog greaseable front sway bar end links did arrive, they do have Zerk fittings on them. I didn't install them yet, but will likely hold on to them until my next oil change and then swap them in. I'll eventually get the rear sway bar end links from Moog too since they're also greaseable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts