Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 sorento that I enjoy but I have a problem: the steering engine-speed-sensitive power assisted locks when attain some velocity like 140 km/hour and never more become assisted again even when I'm going slowly. I must restart ignition.
Someone knows what happens?
It's a electrical problem?
The dealer said it's mechanical problem, they replaced steering pump but the problem continues.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It's not mechanical, it's electrical. Either your EPS (Electronic Power Steering) control module is bad, or the solenoid is sticking. Since the problem goes away when you turn off the ignition and restart it, that tells me that the module going bad is far more likely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, KiaMech.
Thanks for your suggestion, I think you are right, can you tell me where I found the EPS card or unit? It's in interior or exterior (engine)?

(If you have some time, I'm not a mechanical expert can you kindly tell me what is the solenoid?)

best regards

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
There's not much you can do with it except check the connection to the module. It's located inside of the vehicle below the radio area; I think it's below the ashtray to be more precise.

A solenoid is just something that moves in and out. For instance, it can control electrical contacts (starter solenoid) and hydraulic flow, like in the power steering or the transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much. Tomorrow I 'll go to visit the dealer. I think your sugestions will be very helpfull. I will say something after that.
bye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts