Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Im just wondering when you remove the key from the "Lock" position, should the steering have a mechanical lock to stop you moving it also acting as an additional anti-theft device? I havent yet had it lock, on my previous car it would lock and you wouldnt be able to turn the key sometimes unless you gave the steering a little wiggle (this method is described in the Picanto manual). Is there an angle the steering should be left at to enforce the lock?

Thanks
Kevin.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I played around with my car today, leaving my wheels turned when stopping and switching off and using the play on the steering to see if it locked, anyway - it does! But not when the steering wheel is in the straight forward position, im a bit concerned you have to turn the steering wheel so much and forcing the steering joints and the tyres!

Kevin.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
I think its due to parking on hills, it is really best to leave the car in the opposite gear to the way your facing (first if uphill, reverse if down) and angle the wheel into the curb. that way if the handbrake fails then you will not move, or at worst hit the curb and stop. Not having the steeing lock on when facing forwards lets you turn in an emergency. It is locked on the turn, as the wheels would presumably be facing the right way. Think thats it....

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I look at it this way: If my Picanto's steering won't lock when the wheels are straight, I'll find it at the next turn when stolen. To me that's just as safe. Can't say I lost a minute of sleep over it. :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts