Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 model Kia cerato (so my car is just above 3 years) and just last week, I Started experiencing a racking noise in the steering when I turn. My mechanic appear to say it will cost about 3750 united stars dollars to fix. I am in Nigeria and maintenance of Kia cars is actually very expensive here. Please has anybody experienced this issue before? Is it safe to continue to drive the car in that state or will it affect any other part? What is the best way and most economical for me to deal this issue.

NB: I am a female and don't have the first idea about cars, I just start nd move so I need real help here pls.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
Hi Lawyerito...
Welcome to kia-forums!
You said "My mechanic appear to say it will cost about 3750 united stars dollars to fix"
You did mean United States $3750...Right?
I would go out of my way to find an honest mechanic and stay away from the one you are seeing now...
It would help if we knew the actual mileage on the car as a 2009 should not have this much wear on parts. You could replace the WHOLE front end for that here...
I believe you may become a victim of a "Nigerian scam".. (We see a lot of posts here about money scams from Nigeria).
Find someone at church or a recommended mechanic to CONFIRM the costs to repair your car...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comment. Yes I mean $3750. Regarding mechanic, I actually visited the Kia service centre in Nigeria and got that price. Truthfully, inNigeria maintenance of Kia cars is very expensive. They are quick to bring in the cars without sufficient plan for maintenance. It's a really tough one you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@cornwelpick. The car is over three years and thus no longer covered by the warrantee terms. The car has done a little less than 59,000 kilometres.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Racking Noise? I'd look for a competent and independent mechanic to give an opinion on the problem and on the matter of safety. 59,000km isn't very far; maybe it just needs some adjustment or lubrication? If it's just noise, I could put up with a lot of noise for $3750.

I've had cars do more than 400,000km with no steering problems apart from bushing the tie-rod ends.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
36k miles and it has $3800 in repairs??? You are being raped by the dealer.
Cuda and I both say find an honest mechanic... Something is VERY WRONG with what information we are getting...
Was the car wrecked?, Abused?
Try to find out what "general" parts are needed to do the repairs and ask WHY they are needed... We (posters from all over the world) want to help.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
BTW...
I have a 2006 with under 40k (miles) on it and bought it salvage..
One of the parts needed to get the car drivable was a full "rack and pinion" steering part... I bought it for $50 with only 14k miles on the part...
I also replaced an outer tie rod end before replacing the above part and it was only $40...
If Nigerians are getting taken on there KIAs then the cars will be scrapped/totaled from not being repaired. Used parts off of a low mileage Cerato may be another answer...
I just don't think that it should be that expensive because there should be very little wear at 59000 km (36000 miles).
Can you take a picture of the "estimate" or copy and paste the parts needed and post it here?
Dave

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
@cornwelpick. The car is over three years and thus no longer covered by the warrantee terms. The car has done a little less than 59,000 kilometres.
thought Canada had one of the worst Kia Warranties at 5 years or 100k km. What's the coverage on yours?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
What was the initial purchase price? In Australia, a 3-year-old Cerato would be worth about $10,000, so $3750 is big money. Don't even think about the price of a new engine!

·
Registered
2009 1.6L Kia Cerato, 2003 E320 Mercedes
1 Posts
Hello all!
I'm also a Nigerian living in Lagos.
I purchased a Kia Cerato (Forte) in 2009 and have recently started experiencing a steering problem with the car. I service the car exclusively at the Kia Service Center. On complaining, they gave me an estimate of approx $3,956 to replace the steering column and have refused to honor the warranty on the car citing non-regular servicing as their reason. The car has less than 24,000km (15,000 miles) on the odometer.
I need contact information for Kia Korea (they refuse to provide contact info outside their Kia Nigeria network) as I intend to fight it.
The dealers will apparently stoop to any depth to avoid honoring warranties. Mind you, they acknowledge that steering column failure is a frequent problem on the Cerato yet Kia is not doing any sort of recall as far as I can see.
Please any additional info from users who have experienced steering column problems will be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Bimbis...
We are watching your posts VERY CAREFULLY..
Your IP shows you like to deceive others...
Lagos Nigeria is FAMOUS for internet cons...
STAY AWAY FROM HIM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Lawyira,

Has this issue been fixed? I'm in Nigeria and just got the same car. I need to know what the most cost effective fix for the steering issue is.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Be Careful thread readers...
Toluwanimi is also from Lagos, Nigeria and is using a "Proxy Server" to hide his real IP address...
He may be legit and may have a problem with his KIA but please be careful about "helping him to get parts abroad" and using your funds to get them...

Captured
"Hostname: 41.75.207.126
ISP: Gateway Telecoms Integrated Services Limited
Organization: Unspecified
Services: Confirmed proxy server"
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tolu, just wants to know if the issue had been resolved and If yes , what exactly was done. I'm Nigerian too and I have the same issue , I don't know what IP address and proxy server you will be seeing. Internet services are really expensive here but I guess you should see what I'm using is provided by etisalat Nigeria. All I want to know is if any one had solved this problem and how it was solved. Part name(s) if possible is enough. I need no help sourcing or paying for it. @davespectra, I understand you fears but I tell you there are still a lot of Nigerians living in Lagos and that are still very honest and trustworthy. Not fair to just make conclusions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts