Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX+ 3.3L V6 (red)
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else find they need to make little micro adjustments in steering all the time while driving at freeway speeds in a straight line? It's not dramatic or anything...just seems like I need to do more micro-corrections to keep the car going in a straight line than in my previous 09 Pontiac Vibe.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can get the dealer to adjust the steering sensitivity to keep the car a little more "straight" in such situations. Is that a thing, or did I imagine that?

·
Registered
Ceed JD GDI 1.6 2016
10 Posts
Hi,

the nervous steering is a widespread problem that affects different models (Sorento, Ceed, Optima + other manufacturers) and often comes along with the "sticky-steering" issue.
Read the descriptions here: http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/267242-sticky-steering-feel.html

Beside the "stickiness" in the 12 o'clock position (most prominent at lower temperatures) some owners reporting a "wandering" or "swinging" steering at straight line highway speeds.
I have both problems with my Cee'd JD.

Not funny: When you go to the dealer, they will say: "There is no problem at all. Everything is fine! It's a matter of comfort."
Congratulations - you probably are part of the "steering-scandal" :)

Does your car have the flexsteer option (comfort-normal-sport)?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX+ Titanium
20 Posts
I only feeling the issue when in ECO mode. Normal or sport mode and the car is straight with no micro adjustments as you describe.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your car have the flexsteer option (comfort-normal-sport)?
Yes, it does. I should try it using those different options and see if it's any different. Like I say, it's not horrible or anything, I'm just noticing it because my previous car was straight as an arrow, so it's more noticeable to me that the current one is not.

I saw the thread on the sticky steering...I don't notice that. I do notice a couple of other things--when the steering wheel is turned all the way to one side or the other, the steering wheel sort of slightly vibrates/rumbles a bit until I move it off "fully turned". Also, if I'm very slightly on the brakes--just enough to be rolling very slightly forward, not enough to be at a full stop--the entire car seems to vibrate a bit, sort of rocking back and forth slightly as it rolls forward. It's slightly disconcerting.

·
Registered
Ceed JD GDI 1.6 2016
10 Posts
OK, then maybe the need for micro adjustments in your car doesn't correlate with the sticky steering issue.
You too should check the usual suspicious like the alignment, tire pressure + balancing, smoothness of the breakes etc.

With my Ceed I have no vibrations at all, but the corrections to hold the car stable in straight direction are really annoying at higher speeds and make my hands sweaty at longer drives.
When I drive along a sustained bend at speeds about 80-90 mph (ca. 140 km/h), the car feels stable as hell. But as soon as the steering wheel gets back in the 12 o'clock position, the "jitter" starts again!

I asked for the flexsteer because -afaik- with this option onboard there's no possibility to change the steering sensitivity by dealer.
For the "pre-flexsteer Kias" there was a way to set the steering sensitivity to 'lite' 'med' or 'max' (= comfort/normal/sport).
Look at this optima discussion: Steering Mode Discussion - **Dealer Change Only**

In later models they let the driver do adjustments with the flexsteer button at the steering wheel.

But beyond this there is a way to factory reset the steering-angle-sensor by dealer.
This is what they did with my car. They deleted all data which were generated during the driving style of the previous owner (first 15.000km) of my car.
After the reset, all three steering settings got much lighter and I now have comfort / "minor-normal" / "major-normal". The hardness of the sport-mode is gone so far.
Maybe it comes back, when the sensor adapted my steering style. I find the steering now is too light in all 3 settings!

The sticky feeling in middle position is gone but the nervous direction stability is still noticeable and very annoying.

May I ask if you drove your Sorento already through the wintertime?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, that's all very good to know. I have driven the Sorento in winter, but just at the very end (for about a week or so, during which I had to go through a bit of snow one day too).

·
Registered
Ceed JD GDI 1.6 2016
10 Posts
I have driven the Sorento in winter, but just at the very end (for about a week or so, during which I had to go through a bit of snow one day too).
Then you should keep an "extra eye" on the behaviour of the cars steering as soon as the temps drop below 5°C.
If you notice something strange and sticky in the middle position of the steering wheel at higher speeds straight line, then the shaky steering what you experience now probably does correlate with the sticky issue. In that case a complete change of the steering system is necessary. But it's not so easy to get a new one ;-)

Good luck with your Sorento (fine car btw.)!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks very much :) will keep an eye on it next winter.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,501 Posts
Does anyone else find they need to make little micro adjustments in steering all the time while driving at freeway speeds in a straight line? It's not dramatic or anything...just seems like I need to do more micro-corrections to keep the car going in a straight line than in my previous 09 Pontiac Vibe.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you can get the dealer to adjust the steering sensitivity to keep the car a little more "straight" in such situations. Is that a thing, or did I imagine that?
You aren't alone. Many have complained about the same, me included...although mine is barely noticeable. There are multiple theories, among them wide tires, EPS design flaw, driving on the fast lane, wind and so on. There is a member who had his wheels aligned and it helped. But overall it seems a common problem.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
800 Posts
You aren't alone. Many have complained about the same, me included...although mine is barely noticeable. There are multiple theories, among them wide tires, EPS design flaw, driving on the fast lane, wind and so on. There is a member who had his wheels aligned and it helped. But overall it seems a common problem.
Is there an existing thread on this? If so I missed it. I had what the OP is describing with mine when it was new. The problem went away completely after a couple thousand kilometers. I attributed it to the new tires needing to wear in a bit.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,501 Posts
Is there an existing thread on this? If so I missed it. I had what the OP is describing with mine when it was new. The problem went away completely after a couple thousand kilometers. I attributed it to the new tires needing to wear in a bit.
Here...post #6

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.kia-forums.com/showthread.php?t=243970&share_tid=243970&share_fid=90761&share_type=t

Mine tracked fine the first year and a half...then I started noticing it...minor touches to the steering wheel to bring it back in the lane.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
I've started to notice it.Swapping out the 17" winters for the 19" summers today(I think winter is finally over here,I think:unsure:),we'll see if that makes a difference. If not, maybe an alignment will help.Like all things that get old, we all need a little adjustment once in awhile.:D

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
Did the winter to summer tire swap and a few hwy miles:auto:.Tracked alot better with way less corrections.My two cents,big sidewalls and soft suspension sure don't help.Love the ride:) but sometimes wish the suspension was just a little more firm.:|

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage S
2 Posts

I am having the same problem with my 2020 Sportage. In town all is well but when freeway driving I have to constantly make steering corrections, not bad but I have to pay attention!!! If you find an answer I would appreciate some info. Thanks.
Larry Lorden

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,295 Posts
Be sure you have the front toe checked, and it doesn't hurt to have it toward the max of the spec.
Spec is 0.05±0.1° per side, 0.1°±0.2° total. I'd look at setting it up at closer to 0.15° on both sides, to see if you experience less 'wander'.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage S
2 Posts
Be sure you have the front toe checked, and it doesn't hurt to have it toward the max of the spec.
Spec is 0.05±0.1° per side, 0.1°±0.2° total. I'd look at setting it up at closer to 0.15° on both sides, to see if you experience less 'wander'.
Thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts