Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rio is the first vehicle with steel wheels and hubcaps I have owned in a long time. The problem is even after washing ( no harsh chemicals, just carwash soap and now Eagle 1 all wheel cleaner) my wheels are fading quickly. Is this normal on Kia's? I've had my car just over a month and did not expect this. I'll be taking it to the dealer after this 4th of July holiday to see what they say. I may wind up buying after market rims sooner than I planned.

·
Registered
2012 rio 5 mt
31 Posts
steel wheels

Ive had my rio for about 1 1/2 years and my steel wheels faded quick.I look at other steel wheels on similar cars and their steel wheels fade and rust.When I need new tires I want to get my steel rims sand blasted and get them gloss powder coated at work.I can get them powder coated for 75 cents a rim ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weird thing is that Toyota had a recall because of this. The wheels on my mom's '07 Camry did the same thing. She got a recall notice, took it back to the dealer, and they resprayed the wheels. That was more than a couple of years ago and her wheels still look fine.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Steel wheels on our Cerato still look OK after 2 years, but they're mostly covered with a full plastic trim, so fading will not be a problem. The wheels on our other car are no longer shiny black, but again, they're covered so it doesn't matter

I usually clean the wheels inside and out when they're rotated, finally wiping them off with mild solvent and then spraying with a protective coating like Tectyl. The slightly tacky surface helps keep the spring-loaded wheel covers in place.

One truck that I had was fitted with steel wheels that were finished with grey enamel. I never worried much about them, but as I recall, they stayed OK for about 10 years. I presume that the enamel was baked on rather than cold-sprayed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went for my first oil change yesterday and asked them to take a look at my wheels. They've faded a lot worse since I started this thread. The service writer fed me some b.s. about brake dust and that all steel wheels will fade. He did say that he had taken pictures of them and would forward them to his DPSM. I haven't heard back yet so I plan on calling tomorrow. I drove over to a friend's shop who is a professional paint and body man to see what his thoughts were on my wheels. He agreed the wheels should be fading this badly after just four months.
I've worked in the auto parts business for almost 20 years and I know cheap and/or metallic pads will create a lot of dust. I see traces of dust on the hubcaps whenever I wash my car which is about once a week or more if needed. The finish on the wheels will come off on your finger, sponge, or whatever rubs against it. I've just never seen wheels fade this bad this quick. I could see it if I'd drove the car for a couple of winters and never cleaned the wheels. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I honestly don't see a problem here; the wheels are mostly covered by the plastic trims, and very few people worry about the appearance of the steels wheels underneath. You'll probably find that the somewhat eroded look comes from the higher temperatures on the front wheels. I fitted steel wheels (with small hubcaps) to an older car, and sprayed the originally dark grey finish with "silver" from a spray can. Lasted O.K. for years.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that they were glossy when I first bought the car and now they're turning a flat gray. Whatever you touch the wheel with turns black from the finish coming off of the wheel. I got the car at the start of Summer and now we're entering Fall, they're really gonna look like shit after this Winter. I've had the car for four months, it has about 3480 miles, and the wheels look like they've weathered at least 2 years. I wouldn't worry about it so much but I don't want to have to get them repainted within a year of owning the car and they stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
have you just tried polishing them with a bit of wax, probably come up like new and give you more protection, might save you a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Mine also seem to be fading badly after 6 months. Soon putting the snows on the steels and will get some light mags for next spring...

They shouldn't fade this fast. Looks like crap. Big deal considering how much we pay for a basic car ! !
Also even bigger deal if this means the wheels will rust faster due to poor paint....
I don't want to run hub caps on the steels in winter as too much snow and ice gets stuck behind cap and really imbalances wheels. Here in Quebec everyone needs winter tires between December 15 to March 15. Lots of steelies here lol
Point tho is will look much better without faded wheels that look 7 yrs old instead of 7 months...

I think I will check in with my dealer as wheel to see what they can do...

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you just tried polishing them with a bit of wax, probably come up like new and give you more protection, might save you a lot of hassle.
I'll have to dig around in the garage and find the four way unless it was borrowed and never returned. The bodyman I know did try some rubbing compound on one spot and it brought back some of the shine.

Mine also seem to be fading badly after 6 months. Soon putting the snows on the steels and will get some light mags for next spring...

They shouldn't fade this fast. Looks like crap. Big deal considering how much we pay for a basic car ! !
Also even bigger deal if this means the wheels will rust faster due to poor paint....
I don't want to run hub caps on the steels in winter as too much snow and ice gets stuck behind cap and really imbalances wheels. Here in Quebec everyone needs winter tires between December 15 to March 15. Lots of steelies here lol
Point tho is will look much better without faded wheels that look 7 yrs old instead of 7 months...

I think I will check in with my dealer as wheel to see what they can do...

Cheers,
Paul
Pretty much my thoughts on the fading as well. Hell I have seen Dodge Neons and a couple of Scion Xb taxi's that have steel wheels and they don't look as bad as mine, especially since the Neon's are older cars.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be one week tomorrow since I took my car in for service and the service writer said he would let me know what the DPSM said after viewing the pictures of my wheels. The only contact I have received was a robo-call thanking me for using their dealership for service and an email letting me know that Kia would send me a survey about my experience. I wrote in the comment section that the service department hasn't contacted me after they forwarded the pictures. I will be contacting Kia tomorrow.

Over the weekend, I looked at the steel wheels on my sister-in-laws van. Her Odyssey is a 2010 and the wheels are less faded than mine. Four months and worse fading versus three years and less fading..... yeah, it's just normal fading......

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
funny my prior 2003 kia rio I just sprayed painted the wheels prob solved :p
thinking of doin the same with my 2013 rio5 as I took off the hubcaps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts