Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2014 Sorento LX FWD. Planning ahead, I wanted to pick up some cheap steel wheels & snow tires for the Winter (like I had for our Subaru), but tire/wheel tech is quite a bit more complicated nowadays. My last car I picked up 4 used steel wheels with 1/2 good tires for $200 on Craigslist.

The local shop (Les Schwab) wants $1500 for aluminum (boo - no steel) wheels, sensors ($258), and studless snows.
Or, I can just get the snows in the Fall for $775, and use stock rims with a changeover of $60 every Fall or Winter.

Do I just bite the bullet and get the wheel package, or just use the stock wheels? It's a 5-year breakeven ($120/yr for changes).

Chains are $100. How good are the stock tires on snow? :)

Curious what other folks think.

Thanks!
-Dan

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX
63 Posts
keep checking CL as deals always comes about.

Not sure what location your from but maybe find some used cheap wheels for the winter rollers on CL. I plan to use my stock for the winter. Trying to find aftermarket wheels at this time

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
I would say it depends of several parameters :

- How long will you keep your car ? As you wrote less than 5 years : stock rims, more than 5 years : steel rims.

- Will you like the way your car looks like with steel rims ? If no, go for stock.

- Do you want to keep your stock rims in good conditions ? If yes, go for steel.

- Don't you mind that steel rims will rust after few years ? If no, go with it.

My case : AWD Sorento (because of canadian winters) with OEM extra Kia rims for winter : 17" 2011 models (got a good deal on it at 140 $ each with my 2011 Sorento I sold) to replace my 2014 SX 19" ones.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Goose38. Sounds like you have done what I am planning - 17" steel wheels and higher aspect tires to keep the overall diameter the same. Will be cheaper than winter tires for 19 wheels. If kept the stock wheels for winter, then need more expensive 19" winter tires.
So one of the general Sorento issues here on "trade offs" is which model you have as to whether has 17", 18" or 19".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts