Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 sorento with 35000 klms, have been back and fourth from ontario canada to florida twice. The only problem we have is when you back up and turn the wheel the stearing groans slightly. This has been going on now for quite some time and has not got any worse. We love the vehicle and if this is the only problem we have with it we will be very happy. Just wondering if anyone eles has heard the same noise? THANKS! :00000732:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'm sure you have an EX Sorento and the noise you're hearing is just from the EPS (electronic power steering). It's nothing to worry about. The vehicle speed sensor is sending signals the EPS computer recognizes as "less than zero" and the computer tries to open the solenoid more than all-the-way. Again, it's nothing to worry about and it's very common.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought my Kia 2003 about a month ago, and have seen the same problem. Mine is an EX. When I first take off after the car has been sitting and go to turn the wheel, there is a slight vibration, grind in the steering wheel. I thought it was only doing it when the car was cold but now it seems to be doing it all the time, but only when you first take off. My service dept. told me this was normal. Anyone else had this?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
I'm pretty sure the sound/feel you're referring to is the ABS doing it's self-test. This happens every time you start the car and go above 5-mph or so. It is perfectly normal. I think I feel it in the brake pedal and the steering wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts