Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in reference to National Tire and Battery's stores.

My family now has had two times that their employees have tried to get us to repair brake items when we were buying "just tires"..

I was smart enough to "see" that they were pushing repairs that were NOT needed when my wife and I bought 2 Micheline tires for her car...
There "mechanic" used a screw driver or some such tool to push in the front right caliper piston and then called us while we were away from their store.
"We have bad news...you have a caliper piston that won't fully retract".
I asked WHY they were fooling around with my wifes brakes when they were only to balance and install the 2 new tires... I told them to leave the rest of the car alone...and picked up the car with the tires installed...

My daughter lives 30 miles away and needed tires badly and wanted a place where she could get the tire installed close to where she works...She selected a different NTB tire store in Akron, Ohio...

I do ALL the maintenance work on our cars and had just replaced the partially worn front pads this summer. I had checked ALL the brake parts front and rear and other than the NORMAL rust on the outside perimeter of the rotor/discs found no problems.

This is my daughters first car (she's 25 and just out of college). The car (a 2004 Hyundai Sonata) has normal wear and tear but has been a very reliable car.... The NTB employee brought her back and took a hammer to the rotor rust and scared her with "Your brakes are dangerous and can fail at any time" and then made the comment that "Who ever does your maintenance on your car can't be trusted with the work" That referred to Me (her father)... They sold her a bill of goods to the tune of $600+ for a brake job that was NOT needed... She didn't think to call her dad and WAS angry at ME for the "things I didn't do"...:mad:

DO NOT GO TO NTB Tires...They have instructed their employees to "find" things wrong with perfectly safe cars...:mad:
Dave
Moderator of these forums...

·
Super Moderator
2,972 Posts
Dave repoffreport.com is another place to tell the world about these clowns at NTB tire store in Akron, Ohio are rip off artists.

·
Super Moderator
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am awaiting a promised outcome from the district manager of NTB Tires about their "sales policies" and WILL report the results when/if they...
I he contacted my family personally and being a fair man I MUST give him the benefit of doubt.... I'll keep readers of this thread posted....
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did they offer to show you the alleged caliper piston problem so you could make your own judgement, assuming you knew what you were looking at? How do you know they pushed it with a screwdriver if they called when you weren't there?

I'm just asking, wondering how you have any actual grounds for your claims when you speak with the district manager?

·
Super Moderator
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked that ONLY the tires be balanced and mounted and made that point BEFORE leaving the store... I am knowledgeable about all the working parts of todays modern cars.. and I service both my family and my friends cars...

I wished the new tires installed on the front and they would not under any condition install them there...only on the back...
After returning home I immediately did the move of the tires..
While I had the right front tire off I was easily able to see the scrape marks on both the caliper piston and the cylinder wall.. The area that they accessed the piston for their "test" was the slot in the caliper that allows a visual inspection of the brake pads.
It is not a very large slot so a crowbar would have not fit. Something smaller like a large flat blade screwdriver was used.

As far a "grounds" are concerned the DM did not question my abilities and I had enough facts to cause his concern about his employees at these locations.
He has made a generous offer to correct the wrong that I mentioned...I am waiting until I actually see if this will come about.

I really hope I can report that NTB Tire has activity enforced new management changes and have changed their employee policies so that this will not happen again to anyone visiting their stores..
Dave

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Most likely they will do what they need to make you happy(aka shut you up), and then move on and continue their normal business practices. For every one person that questions something like this, there are ten people that won't. So unfortunately, from a financial standpoint, its not worth it to them to make any changes. This is why most aftermarket places(NTB, Pep Boys, etc) continue to thrive despite any negative comments against them.

·
Super Moderator
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a little late on posting a follow up on this "problem"...
The NTB district manager did contact me and my daughter and got our feedback...

His comments about the store that did the "brake job" on my daughters car and his follow through should be acknowledged here...

He has gone after the store managers at both locations about NOT following corporate policies and creating "work".... He also has sent a company check to cover ALL the charges for parts and labor for the un-needed brake work to my daughter...

So I believe that this follow up was needed and necessary as the corporate offices DID follow through with what they promised me and my daughter... My daughter also now KNOWS dad was right...

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing