Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your car starts when it wants to, or turns over but wont fire, or only starts when jumped, or when you turn the key the accesory lights or anything wont work, and you think it might be an electrical problem or even if you don't, try this.

If you cant get the car to start try and test the battery, you can buy a tester for a couple of dollars some places or take it to an auto store, it may be bad. If you can get it to run, wiggle the black or negative or ground wire off of the battery and see if the car's idle changes slightly from the alternator kicking on or off. It may be coroded or even just a dirty connection to the ground screw. Try this even if you think it wont help. I highly recomend. It doesnt take to long.

When this all happened to me I thought it was a hugh problem with the starter, alternator, battery (which wasn't bad but I ended up replacing), or the ignition. All I had to do was scratch the grounded end of the wire and clean it up and it starts every time. If this is it, its an easy and quick fix but you have to take off the air filter box, well at least for my 99' sephia. I think that others having similar problems, even if the car is different year or make should check it because the battery isn't grounded to the body, under the eye hole (at the end of wire) that the bolt goes through is plastic and the bolt goes to a nut below the plastic, so dirt can get in there because the plastic can move and get dirt betwen the nut and the eye hole.

Honestly I didn't think this would do anything different because of the symptoms, and the car would turn over strong but wouldn't fire. All I know is I dont have to walk to work anymore, lol. Hope this helps I was looking for help and no one realy knew an answer so I wanted to give others some help because when I was on there was a lot of people with similar problems. Good Luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
or do the smarter thing and throw out the stock battery cables and replace em with 4 guage cables with better terminal connectors. That helps to make your car more reliable (also helps with stereo systems) also install a grounding kit, That helps too since Stock groundign wires on the Sephia suck really bad.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sephia
10 Posts
Do you know where i can get the grounding cables and the 4 gauge battery cables??? Please respond ASAP im getting ready to sell it and i want to fix the little things that are wrong with it before i do... :liebe011:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts