Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Kia Optima Starting Issues

I have a 2004 Optima 2.4L that has a starting problem. Today, I went to start it and it wouldn't even turnover the starter motor. I replaced the battery today and I still have the problem. The starter and starter solenoid have been replaced within the last six months. I investigated my fuse box next to the battery and found the 30 amp IGN 2 fusible link burnt out. I presumed it must be an ignition switch problem and looked further because my car had not been starting easily over time. I replaced the fusible link and it burnt out again only when I turned the key to start, not accessory! I went ahead and ordered the ignition starter switch because it is only about $11. Has anyone tried to replace this same part before? I would like some feedback on your resolutions also. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Diagnosis Continues

I removed the starter today and had it tested. It did turn over, but it failed the amperage test. I am getting my replacement today and should know whether or not this is the real cause of the IGN 2 fusible link to fail. The ignition switch has been replaced and hasn't caused the 30 Amp fusible link to burn out when I turn the key when the starter is off. I will post my results when I solve the problem.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starting Issue Resolved

After the starter was bench tested, I confirmed that the solenoid had to be the issue. It was only a few months old (refurbished from an autoparts store), so that was the last place I wanted to check because of its complexity in removal. The solenoid was arching inside and caused the 30 amp IGN 2 fusible link to blow every time you turned the key over. It didn't affect the starter relay, ignition switch, or the other IGN 1 fusible link. LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS start with the starter if there is no starting the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts