Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am fairly new to the forum so i apologize if this issue has been addressed already.

Last month, my wife and I purchased a 2018 Sorento EX 2.0 with less than 1000 miles on the odometer currently. Yesterday, my wife called me stating that the car took a long time to start. (It has the push button ignition) Usually, the car will start up within a second but this time it took over 15 seconds like it was struggling to turn over. This was surprising to me since the car is still brand spanking new!Also, I took it for a spin after she got home to see if the problem would occur again and it started up fine. I did notice that when I was driving it, there was an odd airy noise coming from the front. I'm aware that my vehicle is turbocharged and it does spool and release but this didn't sound normal. My wife has been driving it in ECO-mode recently to try and see if it will drive more efficiently so I thought that could be the odd noise but when I put it into NORMAL-mode, it still had an odd noise. Weird! I have an appointment with the dealership on Friday to get it looked at but I wanted to pick y'alls brains first.

I really hope it's nothing that will get worse. This is our first Kia and I don't want it to be our last if more problems pop up while it's still new! Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Welcome! Love Arlington, been to see a few baseball games at that stadium.

I'll say in general, from what I see in the forums, and quality ratings, this has been a remarkably trouble free vehicle for most

The airy noise could be a leak on the air pressure side of turbo charger, maybe a clamp not tightened correctly at he factory?
I had a hard start condition with my 2013 Sonata, ended up being a bad DI fuel pump, the one on top of the engine.
Best to just describe the symptoms to the service advisor and let them do the trouble shooting.

I had the A/C go out on my 2016 Sorento at less than 1000 miles. On my first highway trip, turns out a stone hit the condenser and put a hole in it.
The dealer put it through as warranty, but said I might have to pay (10% chance) if KIA HQ denied the repair. Never heard back.

Good luck and check back in once the dealer has had a look.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome,2.0t owner and i've never heard the turbo spool up or blow down.I'm thinking the same thing that there's a hose loose.As for the delay start, someone posted in another thread that its just the fuel pump re-presurising the fuel line.Its happen to me a couple of times over two years so no big deal.Enjoy your ride:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply Danno! I love Arlington but I've been here for a long time and the congestion nowadays is insane! I think it's time for me to move further out of the city!

I'm glad these possible problems are small and easy to fix! I really love the Sorento and I'm still excited every time I drive it! I hope the dealership will work with me to try and diagnose the problem. Like Coolwhip mentioned, it may be the fuel pump re-pressurizing but I'll ask the dealership just in case tomorrow.

I'll check back in tomorrow once I get it looked at! Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again!

I just got back home from the dealership and I wanted to give y'all and update on what they said. I reported all that happened and they quickly took it back to run all the computer checks to see if there were any saved trouble codes, checked the battery/alternator voltage, and the fuel pressure. Everything was up to spec, supposedly! I just hope it's what @Coolwhip mentioned about the fuel lines being re-pressurized!

The only thing is left concerned over was the noises it was making in ECO-mode. Maybe it's just the turbo operating under lower boost levels, i don't know but it still doesn't sound right. I could just be paranoid about T-GDI motors! We shall see!

Anyways, I'll keep y'all updated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
delayed start

Delayed start has happened to me as well. I think it has to do more with the onboard computer than it does with fuel line pressurization. The problem usually occurred with me when I hopped in the unlocked car and then tried to start it right away. It's almost like the car's computer isn't ready to receive the start signal so it "freezes up" and delays the start. The problem is yet to occur for me when I "wake up" the car 20-30 seconds before starting it. I usually do this by hitting the unlock button on the key fob (even if the car is already unlocked) while I'm walking toward it. If I don't do that and just hop in, then I often will sit for 10-20 seconds or so (while adjusting my seat belt, taking my wallet out of my pocket, etc) before starting it up. When I give the computer time to wake up before I start it, the car starts immediately and the screen in the center console operates quickly immediately after start. If I don't give it time to wake up then the navigation takes a while to initiate, the backup camera is more slow to respond, and I'm more likely to experience the delayed start. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about it, but that's the conclusion my dealer and I have come to... hope that helps!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the 2016 SXL with 2.0T and have never had this happen in 60K on the clock. Maybe it's because whenever I get in I do put on the seatbelt first before starting. Maybe that's enough time so maybe there is something to that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Supposedly this system can tolerate fuel rail pressure going down, and that mechanical pump should build it up fast enough if it's working right. Mine will do an extended crank as well from time to time. More so in hotter conditions than cold. There's other threads here in the same issue. I have seen marginal HP pumps cause this issue after sitting a while but it's a pretty consistent failure, not intermittent. Could be anything on the noise, but I know on older models there was a TSB campaign that called for replacing an intake hose under there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
johnsonj93 did your dealer ever figure out the issue with the delayed start? mine has tried several things but the issue still persists. for me it has been happening 2-3 times a week on average. they tried clearing off the grounding wires, they tried switching out a part, they checked the onboard computers, nothing has fixed it. even kia hasn't been able to help them figure it out and they've said they've never had an issue like this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
markstud21
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing