Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona EX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just finished replacing my starter in my 05 Sedona. I would be glad to help anyone who is planning on doing this. It is not that bad of a job to DIY.

On another note, while changing the starter, I noticed that I have a small oil leak. Does anyone know if this would be something covered under the 10 year/100,000 mile Warranty? The leak is not coming from the oil pan, it is coming from a higher point in the engine - possible the valve cover. Does anyone have experience getting warranty work done? This would be the first time I'd try getting something done under warranty. We are the only owners for this car, and plan to take it to the dealer who sold it to us. The car has 91,000 miles.

Thinking about taking it in for an oil change and then going from there when they discover the leak themselves.

-Sam

·
Registered
Sephia 2001, Sedona 2003
55 Posts
Warranty work and Starter

Hi Sam, I am in South Florida. For what it's worth, I had to take my 03 Sedona several times to the dealer for warranty work. Beginning with a bad alternator at 15k miles, then several bad motor mounts, then Air Conditioning at 55k miles, then A/C again 5 k miles later, then a bad wheel bearing at 98,500 miles. I had the warranty work done at two different dealers, neither of which was the original seller of car, and I never had any trouble getting the repairs done, even though I never did any other work at these shops except the warranty work. I suggest you take your car and have them look at it just for the oil leak. No need for the oil change.

By the way, I may have to do the starter in my car (127 k miles) I just finished replacing the alternator for a secone time and the battery and the car still fails to start sometime, even thouh the battery is full charged, and the alternator is charging correctly when car is running. Are there any gotchas you found replacing the starter?

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How bad was the replacement?
My Van is in a store parking lot, wont start. Clicking, no other noise.
I have basic automotive repair skills, think this can be done in a parking lot?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Sedona EX 3.5L
29 Posts
The no start condition cant be diagnosed without more information. Is the starter turning over ? If the starter is not turning over then it can be only a few things; the starter itself, the ignition switch, the main fusible link, or the battery terminals. Note that the battery terminals may look fine, but these sedonas have a secret problem of light oxidation that really screws with the conductivity. I have peeled the connectors apart on two Sedonas , and wire brushed the copper wire and the inside of the crimp on connector, then reclamped it and soldered it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts