Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Sportage,Landrover Disco II
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Are our starter motors serviceable with new brushes etc or are they are a throw away and replace item?

After 20 years and 165000km I had a no start incident on Friday. After checking everything under bonnet and fuse panel with no luck thought I would give the starter motor some loving with the knockometer>:D,fired up straight away.

Had another one today on the way back down the highway after stopping for a coffe and pit stop. Couple of taps this time wi the hammer before the Sporty fired up again.

Need reliability as I am travelling 600km for work each week. 2x300 km trips, home to work and back.

Damn Kia reliability 0:), you would have thought at least 30 years.

Cheers Chris

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
If it is a manual transmission rumor is you can put on a Mazda Miata gear reduction starter.

·
Registered
97 Sportage,Landrover Disco II
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So spent the weekend sorting out my starter motor.

Had my mechanic order one in after pricing around and wanting a quality OEM part instead of Chinese rubbish. His pricing was in the middle. For interest the stearlership price was $575 and the part had to be imported form Korea, minimum three week wait.

Spent a couple of hours on Saturday morning with my son pulling the starter out. For those contemplating the job the intake manifold support bracket needs to come out as well. Now There are two types of starter motors 8 tooth and 10 tooth. You guessed it the replacement was the wrong one.

A bit of ringing around and sourced a quality OEM replacement from Repco with the correct tooth count, applied Service discount and score - brand new starter for $150. >:D. It's great having a good relationship withth your local mechaninc, no issues at all with bring back the other starter.

Recieved a call from my sister in law, our nephew was playing a gig intown at one of the local watering holes. So buggar it pack up and head in for a couple of quiet ales, lists to some music and be with good company.

This morning started again to reinstall, no real issues apart fro my meat axes for hands. It is great having a son with small hands:D. All back to get her and running like a bought one. Sporty turns over so much faster now. Great result.

Apart for a few hours of my time cost was $150 to replace with a new one. If going from go to whoa I reckon it would take on average 4-5 hours for an average Joe to fit up. Spending a few hours under the car with my son and gaining some knowledge, priceless >:D

Cheers Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts